Existing Member?

cregganwasneverlikethis

I've died and gone to Hoi An

VIETNAM | Wednesday, 29 April 2015 | Views [142] | Scholarship Entry

I knew this place was gona be magic. Tour organised this morning to the My Son sanctuary, some ruined historic temples about an hour out the road. I’m feeling rejuvenated and this place is actually quite interesting, as it’s a Hindu enclave dating from as early as the 4th Century. I make my own way round the ruins. Laugh to myself seeing Christmas decorations for sale in the souvenir shop. Celebrating a Christian festival at a Hindu monument in a mainly Buddhist country.

Anyway, after a couple of hours and lunch on a boat ride back to the town, I am free to explore. And I absolutely love it. The town is an old trading port, which has been so well preserved. It’s just like a big town and it immediately has a seaside sort of feel to it. There are pretty rows of authentic houses and shops in the old quarter, with beautiful original features. And little lanterns hanging from every possible beam, which light up the place like a fairy tale.

I finally use the Lonely Planet guide to pick me a restaurant for dinner cos I just can’t decide. The Cargo Club it is and I’m lucky enough to get a seat on the terrace, overlooking the river. This was probably the best dining experience of my life! At my fourth seating for food today, I had a 3 course meal and 3 drinks. BBQ spring rolls that you get to make yourself (always makes food more interesting!), some beef hotplate dish and an Eton mess type effort of Meringue and Ice cream. It’s the first time I’ve really wanted company since I left, purely to share the experience with. Watching the sunset and the lanterns come into their own, a man playing guitar out on the river. Jeez it was wild romantic. And I briefly had a passing newt for a date. Tragic.

I walk about for another while taking it all in. Stop for a coffee. Get some photos. This is also the first time I wish I had my good camera with me to do the place justice after dark. But there’s enough camera nazi’s about, whatever is missed will live long in the memory anyway. The atmosphere is just perfect, so laid back. I chat briefly to a few beside me and bump into a fella from Offaly who I also met at Halong Bay...it’s a long way from Enniscorthy, it’s a long way to go. I buy a couple of souveniers on the way back to the hotel, christ knows where they’re going in my bag. Must. Resist. Nice. Things.

So happy with today, it has exceeded all expectations. I’ll be back here one day, God willing. (Or Buddha or Ganesha willing…praise be to them all for Hoi An!)

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About gbegs


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Vietnam

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.