Existing Member?

A Little Trip New Zealand and a semester in Australia

Vacation from a Vacation

AUSTRALIA | Thursday, 24 April 2008 | Views [747]

    

Hello All, Chag Sameach from Down Under. Wanted to give an update on my vacation last week and my Pesach adventures this week. Early last Sunday, I flew out to a beautiful, touristy city on the Northeastern coast of Australia called Cairns (pronounced Cans). It was a really nice place and my hostel was on the main Esplanade. Since it’s on the coast, the city overlooks the ocean but since there’s no place to go swimming on it, there is a large pool that is open to the public. I was in Cairns by myself which was kind of lonely but I got to choose my own activities and stuff.  On Monday, I went on a boat trip to the Great Barrier Reef. It was a large boat with a lot of people that was rocking from side to side the whole two hours to the Reef.  We made a couple of stops where we got to go snorkeling which was really beautiful. I decided not to go scuba diving because it was too expensive and the snorkeling was definitely good enough. I had bought a waterproof case for my camera so that I could take underwater pictures and some of them came out really well. It was a long day mainly because I was fighting nausea the whole time but the snorkeling was really amazing.

On Tuesday morning, I left Cairns on an overnight trip to an area called Cape Tribulation. We stopped at a few viewpoints along the way and then in a wildlife sanctuary with kangaroos, koalas, tropical birds, and crocodiles. There were a lot of baby kangaroos that we could hand-feed which was really awesome. We continued on to Cape Tribulation which is in the middle of the Daintree rainforest. We also stopped along the way for a boat trip along the Daintree River where we got to see some wild crocodiles. I got to my hostel which was in the middle of the rainforest. The area is totally isolated and each accommodation site is separated by about a mile and the only way to get anywhere is by a narrow dirt road. It was also after 4pm so I couldn’t go on any activities either and I was stuck at my hostel. I killed the time by sitting on the beach and reading in the restaurant at the hostel. The next morning, I went on Jungle surfing which was basically zip-lining a bunch of times from tree-to-tree high in the rainforest. It was cool but not as exciting as it may sound. I went for a hike along the beach and the cape to kill more time before my ride came to take me back to Cairns late in the afternoon.

On Thursday, I went on a trip to go sea kayaking around Fitzroy Island. We took a speed boat out to the island which took about 45 minutes and was really fun. The trip was advertised as being around a beautiful, natural, isolated island, but the first things we saw when we got there was a big construction site and an enormous cargo ship taking garbage off the island. It was nature at its finest. The sea kayaking was really nice and beautiful though and we stopped in a place where we could go snorkeling. The water there was not as clean as the first day but it was still nice. I also saw a huge sea turtle that was swimming along the surface and came right by my kayak. It started pouring though on the way to the lunch spot and the guides had to call of the trip a bit early. Nobody seemed to mind because we were all exhausted and we each got a $30 discount. On the way back, the boat was full of the sea kayakers and a group of construction workers heading back to Cairns. There was already something wrong with the four engines on the boat and they were really struggling with the full boat. We were going really slowly for a while and we weren’t 100% sure that the engines would get us all the way back. The driver even had to turn them off a couple of times to try and re-energize them. It was quite unnerving but we eventually made it back.

I spent a couple of nights in Cairns at the small casino there and I even won the last night. The other nights I went to the movies. So it was a bit lonely at times but I really enjoyed the vacation. The area was beautiful and it was great to get out of Sydney.

I was at my friends in Bondi for the first days of Yom Tov. We went to different families around the area for Seders and meals which were all really nice but we calculated at the end that we had literally walked over 18 miles over the three days. It was really tough to be away from my family over Pesach and I really appreciate now the convenience of being at the hotel. After Yom Tov, I went back to my place but I didn’t last very long due to the lack of food. So now I’m back in Bondi for the rest of the holiday so that I can avoid starvation. Hope you’re all enjoying Pesach in your respective places and I’ll talk to you soon.

Tags: adventures

About gators1335


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.