Existing Member?

A Little Trip New Zealand and a semester in Australia

So Far

AUSTRALIA | Wednesday, 5 March 2008 | Views [816] | Comments [5]

I'm writing first about what everything is like here in Australia because that's what a lot of people have been asking about. New Zealand was amazing as you've all seen from the pictures and I'm looking forward to writing about it in detail as soon as possible.

So I arrived in Australia with the picture in my head that I would be greeted by my new roommates in my great new apartment who were excited to meet me and have a great time this semester. The reality was that there was no one in the apartment when I showed up, all the lights were off, and the RA who brought me to my room had a terrible lisp and I couldn’t understand a word she was telling me about the Village where I would be living for the next four months. I did a little bit of investigating to find out who my roommates were or at least what they were like, and with a few pieces of evidence, immediately determined that they were some sort of Asian. I was able to figure this out because most of the food in the cabinets and in the refrigerator had only some kind of Asian writing on it, there were more chopsticks in the sink drainer than regular cutlery, and there were shoes outside of almost every door. By now I’ve met all of my roommates and I’m wondering what exactly I put down in my housing application that got me into this situation. I live with one guy from Rutgers (I flew halfway around the world to live with a random Rutgers guy), two girls from Honk Kong, and I think the last guy is from South Korea. The Korean guy and one of the Chinese girls don’t speak English very well and I’ve only seen the other girl twice in the last week and a half. Otherwise, the housing situation is GREAT! I have my own room with my own bathroom and shower which is really nice and convenient. The house we live in is modern and clean. Downstairs, there’s a kitchen, a sort of dining room, and a living room with a few couches and a television with about five channels (I’ve been watching a lot of cricket). There’s one bedroom downstairs and four upstairs. The house/apartment is in a village of about 170 of these houses that’s at least a 10 minute walk from the main area of the campus. There’s a small wooded area on one side of the village that is home to some of the funkiest birds I’ve ever seen. The birds that walk around here, like pigeons or little boring brown ones at home, are the kind of birds that you would only see in America in a zoo or in a cage as someone’s pet. I wake up to their loud unique noises and there’s one that I swear sounds like a crying baby which really confuses me while I’m laying in bed half-conscious.

The campus itself is nice. There are a lot of grassy areas around the campus and all of the lecture halls are clean and modern and all of the high-tech things that the teachers use for their presentations actually work which I’ve never seen at Rutgers. I’m taking three courses right now, geology and biology for my natural science requirements, and Australian Media as an elective. They’re all 100 level classes but they’re a little bit harder than the 100 level classes that I’m used to at home. I have to write two essays for each during the semester but I can’t complain about the 55 minute lectures. I’ll be honest, everything kind of reminds me of Rutgers besides the fact that people are a little bit friendlier in classes. I was able to introduce myself to the people sitting next to me in most of my classes last week (the first week of classes) and a random guy and his girlfriend who I’ve never met offered me a ride from the Village to my class this morning because it was hot outside. (I was already in the car when I thought, “wait a second, he’s a stranger”, but I made it). I feel kind of busy during the days with classes and having to prepare all of my meals for myself but I signed up for the gym and there might be a baseball/softball club that I could play in.

The school is also pretty far outside of the city and it takes at least an hour to get there by public transportation so it’s pretty hard to be a tourist, but I’ve made the trip several times already and I’m pretty familiar with the trains and buses around here. I’ve only seen the famous Opera House in brief glimpses from the bus but my plan is to do as much sightseeing as possible on Thursdays since I don’t have class that day. My friends Taryn and Dani, are at a different school in Sydney and they live right next to Bondi Beach which is one of the most popular beaches in Sydney. They’re also right next to a bunch of Kosher restaurants and there’s a supermarket with Kosher food near there that I stop in on my way back to school. I’ve been to their apartment a couple of times already and on Shabbos we walked for about four hours back and forth along the coastline to another beach which was all just beautiful. I also met a family who’s a relative of a relative at home and they took me out for dinner last week. Then the Mother got me in touch with her brother who took me to see the Sydney Kings basketball team. (They’re a professional team and I saw them in the league semifinals. It was a great game, they won the series and now they’re in the finals).

So overall, despite the weird living situation, I feel like things are going pretty well. I was really banking on the fact that my new roommates would be the key to new friendships here, but that’s obviously not happening and the Village is not the wonderful funland that I had pictured before I arrived. Despite that, I’m trying to build whatever relationships I can through people in class and this weekend I’m attending a sort-of shabbaton put together by AUJS, the Australian version of Hillel (It stands for Australasian Union of Jewish Students) which should be awesome. The weekend is meant for meeting people and having fun and is not like NCSY shabbatons with tons of D’var Torahs. From what I’ve read, AUJS replaces D’var Torahs with alcohol. So like I said, I’m pretty busy with school and I’ve been going to the gym and trying to enjoy the warm weather because I don’t know how long it will last. I’m going to try to be as creative as possible with my free Thursdays and see as much as I can. So things are good, I miss everybody, and hopefully I’ll have some exciting pictures from Australia to show everyone soon. Byeeee

Tags: Beaches & sunshine

Comments

1

Most guys would love to have women Asian roommates.

Keep up the great attitude! Love you. Dad

  Dad Mar 5, 2008 9:28 AM

2

Sounds sick!
Gonna miss you pesach! Matzoh balls what?

  Aryeh Kunstler Mar 5, 2008 12:13 PM

3

I absolutely had a good laugh today just from reading your blog. Please don't forget to keep writing and I want to see pictures of the funky birds. Goldie could not believe those pictures of you ice climbing. We miss you and love you very much.

  Aunt Moe Mar 6, 2008 1:49 AM

4

Thanks for the laugh! It sounds exciting and hopeful and wow... you know your way around, you are dealing with things some of us will never experience, your loving the Jews and 4 hours walking on a beach. I am proud!! Love, Aunt Cyn

  Aunt Cynthia Mar 9, 2008 12:27 PM

5

Thanks for the laugh! It sounds exciting and hopeful and wow... you know your way around, you are dealing with things some of us will never experience, your loving the Jews and 4 hours walking on a beach. I am proud!! Love, Aunt Cyn

  Aunt Cynthia Mar 9, 2008 12:27 PM

About gators1335


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.