Existing Member?

Discover.Explore.Experience.

My Travel Writing Scholarship 2011 entry - My Big Adventure

INDIA | Thursday, 24 March 2011 | Views [221] | Scholarship Entry

Living in city like Mumbai is akin to a being in a box of sardines. The screaming vehicles and the bursting at the seams city can be deadening for the senses. My desire to just break away and discover new cultures and experiences was a strong one.
Discovering your own country especially if it is a country like India is almost like visiting several countries. Every state is unique – geographically, culturally and gastronomically. “My big adventure” began with Rajasthan with a dry and arid climate, culturally very bright and appealing in more ways than one. I was amused and entertained to see the three tier vehicles (Rickshaws) which are beautifully adorned as if they are Rajasthani brides and a thought crossed my mind maybe even equally loved and respected. Magnificent palaces and the rich heritage of Rajasthan is clichéd and completely overrated.
As I slipped into slumber on a bus, the stretch of the Arabian Desert spread over a few hundred kilometres had transformed into green and vibrant fields of Punjab as I woke up. The rich food, loud colours and a turban clad population is the clan which has made the “Big Fat Indian Wedding “– Big and Fat. A visit to the Golden temple is a spiritually uplifting experience. As I soaked my feet in cold water before entering the temple I was left refreshed and as if I had soaked in the peace. It is a must to eat at the local - off the road eating joints (dhabas) and sample some fresh water fish and bread (paranthas).
I then stopped over at a quiet and beautiful town of Mac leod Ganj.A blend of cultural influences of Persians, French, Tibetans and Indians makes this place an interesting one. Lots of coloured little flags, French cafes and rich Tibetan markets define the place. A visit to the centre of the Tibetan culture enriches and is a story well told. On such travels, the warmth of the people, flavour of the food and sights that left one speechless linger on in the memory for years to come. The unwinding roads and the lovely breeze and that beautiful walk alongside quaint French cafes.. I kept saying to myself a line that inspires me time and again – “Not all who wander are lost…”

Tags: #2011writing, travel writing scholarship 2011

About gargee


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.