Existing Member?

LETS FIND THE BEAUTY OF INDONESIA!

My Scholarship entry - Understanding a Culture through Food

INDONESIA | Sunday, 22 April 2012 | Views [292] | Scholarship Entry

ROBO-ROBO: VARIOUS KIND OF TRADITIONAL FOODS IN ONE CEREMONY
(Understanding a Culture through Food)
By: Eka  Damayanti
Food is not just what we eat, but also is a product of a culture. Last January, I was so lucky to get an opportunity to attend Robo-Robo Annual Cultural Ceremony in Mempawah, West Borneo. It was an annual agenda to memorize the coming of Opu Daeng Manambon there and establishment of Amantubilah Islamic Kingdom in 1737.


It was a real sunny day and the location of the ceremony (77 kilometers from Pontianak) was so crowded for everybody did not want to miss this precious moment and what was more, they should not pay to enter the location. The ceremony was liven up with attractions such as Japin Dance, Traditional Folk Songs and Fashion Show, Bidar Boat Race, Reading Traditional Poetries and most of all Makan Saprahan (Dining Invitation at The Kingdom using trays as plates) where almost extinct traditional foods like Kari Ayam (Chicken Curry), Sambal Serai Udang (Hot Shrimp with Lemon Grass), Selada Timun (Cucumber and Lettuce Soup), Bingke Ubi (Sweet Potato Cake), Kue Jorong (Jorong Cake), Serbat (Ginger Drink with Spices) and others were served to all guests and I found them so delicious. The dining was so special since it was aimed to maintain good relationship between the king and his people and to preserve Malayan’s culture through food.

As I will be visiting three different countries with their amazing cultures and be guided by best mentors, I am sure this precious chance would benefit me to make better writings. I hope those better writings of mine will contribute to Indonesia tourism, especially to the places that have not been well promoted like Mempawah. And people from all over the world learn about the beauty of Indonesia culture through food.



Tags: travel writing scholarship 2012

About galuh

ME, AT BETANG. THE TRADITIONAL HOUSE OF DAYAKNESE, BORNEO

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Indonesia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.