Existing Member?

European Cronopio. (Cronopio is a term created by the Argentine author Julio Cortazar)

"A Journey to Awaken"

INDIA | Wednesday, 14 May 2014 | Views [155] | Scholarship Entry

I’ll never forget that day in Mendoza, a city at the south of Argentina. I was at a national meeting of the NGO where I work. Leila, a student of political science hosted me at her house and told about an annual journey around India for 15 days with 450 other young people from India and other parts of the world on a train adapted (with beds, showers, kitchen, conference room, etc,) to go over 8000 miles and to visit about 12 cities. Visiting different role models, change-makers, who knew how to create solutions to global problems into their local areas, the "Jagriti Yatra" that in hindi means a journey to awaken.This anual journey was born in 1997 with the visión of building India through enterprise, to awake the spirit of action and entrepreneurship.
This looked like the opportunity, that unknowingly, I had been looking for. The opportunity to explore India in a complete different way. I thought it would be impossible for me to be chosen among many candidate, but I tried with all my forces and it happens. I was selected as a participant. I just have to buy the tickets to India.
I felt a huge happiness but the price was out of our possibilities. After a long way of struggle to get the money for the tickets and for extra expenses, with the help of the goverment and my family, I was in Bombay. I thought in my family, my mother and my grandfather. This trip represented a big achievement for us, it wasn’t easy to get it.
I spent almost 2 weeks in Bombay before the Yatra starts. During this time I could explore the city, visited magic places and made friends who gave me the best advices.
On 24th of December the journey started at TISS, Tata Institute of Social Science where the ceremony of launching was. There were a lot of people, from India and from other countries. I was the only one from Latin América.
I’ll never forget when we arrived at the train station. It was a complete caos. Full of people, it looked like a city. We were almost 500 people with bags and suitcases, but in India that’s not a big number. People didn’t notice about us. After a while the train arrived.It was a typical Indian train, but with phrases and slogans of Jagriti Yatra on the walls. The journey was started and It was Christmas.I couldn’t believe where I was.When the train started to moved I gave thanks to life, and to my family, that with all their effort helped me to be there, fulfilling my dream.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About galacrono


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.