Existing Member?

gabrielapalma

Understanding a Culture through Food - Hungry Wawa

PERU | Friday, 19 April 2013 | Views [390] | Scholarship Entry

My head was resting on a padded surface, I blinked rapidly and glimpsed her colorful red predominant blur, I sensed her body heat, and Dear lord she stinks. I am exhausted and I was starting to feel trapped, she was a little big but the colorful woolen clothes she was wearing made her twice her size.

She was staring at me with her taciturn eyes and half smile; I noticed the absence of a tooth. But I also noticed the beautiful knitted flowers pinned delicately on the copper color ribbon placed around her brown hat. I finally decided to withdraw a little and made some distance, not much though the space is this train seats are meant for two, and she, her clothes and I were clenched tightly. Around us more people, sited and standing, is crowded.

I apologized to her for using her as a human pillow, she said “You sleep like a wawa”. I smiled, I knew wawa meant baby, my grandmother taught me. To my surprise she brought a large market bag made of plastic out of her dozen skirts. This bag contained old metal pots wrapped with potatoes sack fabric.
And that explained the smell, is the combination of her woolen clothes made of natural fibers which still smelled like the animal they were made of, and the food that is on the bag: onion and garlic seasoning. Yummy!

She looked at me and she figured me out instantly. She gave me a large bowl and an old metal spoon. She served a large portion of a splendid baked chicken with red panca chilli. Next some grey looking potatoes. She explained to me that they were left to freeze in the high mountains, then she topped them on with some homemade cheese, the best was the pasta. It was egg white coated fettuccini made into a sort of cake and stuffed with sliced Onions, tomatoes, slices of boiled eggs, black olives and some more cheese. I was in awe; she offered some huacatay spicy cream. Could I ask for more kindness from this woman?
I was delighted.and enjoyed every delicious bite and even more I enjoyed the warmth of this lady who has not talk to me much and mostly has watch me devour her food,

Again I caught her looking at me and I offered to pay for the food, she refused, and I do not know what else to do, I have nothing to give away, then she says “1 HORA” I look at my cell phone´s clock and indeed one more hour until Ollantaytambo and then 2 hours back to Cusco city. She pointed at her right shoulder and I smiled feeling the most grateful I could remember and leant my head on her shoulder.

Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2013

About gabrielapalma


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Peru

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.