Existing Member?

Street Food of Istanbul

My Scholarship entry - Understanding a Culture through Food

WORLDWIDE | Wednesday, 18 April 2012 | Views [455] | Scholarship Entry

The ferry ploughs and skips across the Bosphorus, glittering like a broken mirror in the sun; the fracture between two continents. I stand on the deck with my face in the wind, eyes half closed as my hair whips across my face.

 

I buy a black tea from the vendor on the deck. They are found all over Istanbul, these stocky, dark men with delicate trays in their thick hands. The steam hits my nose, a rich smell of old books and burnt leaves. An older woman sitting near me stirs a cube of sugar into hers carefully; clink, clink, clink. We sip our teas in a broken ceremony, strangers sharing this timeworn tradition. Istanbul is a city where one never feels alone; moments of shared culinary delight embrace the most solitary individuals.

 

Later, I am lying on the grass in a park fringed by aged wooden houses, the afternoon sun making me feel limbless. A teenage boy carrying a circular object on his head and a stand on his shoulder approaches me. In a seamless movement, he kicks out his stand and places the tray down. Atop it is a huddle of mussel shells, half open and glistening with salt water, alongside a basket of cut lemons. I study them in wonder; we’re miles from the fish markets that occupy the harbour side, selling small battered fish in aluminium trays (to eat whole), crusty buns stuffed with charred white fillets and salad, squid that writhe under the hands of their owners who smile and hold them out to you.

 

I point to a mussel; he cracks off the top of it with a flat wedge, douses it in lemon juice and hands it to me. I tip back my head and it slides into my mouth. It is light and tender on my tongue and fills my mouth with a pop of citrus. A smoky, salty taste follows, as if it has been imprinted with every day that the ocean has washed over it. I stand for a while, choosing mussels. He sneaks a few for himself; we exchange shy smiles.

 

When I’m done he counts the empty shells and I pay. He nods to me and with a quick lift and flip, he’s off to the next group.

Tags: travel writing scholarship 2012

About g_flys


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.