Existing Member?

Lost and Found

Diving into Volcanos

PHILIPPINES | Tuesday, 6 February 2007 | Views [1473]

i just did it yesterday :-) if you're a trekker it's definitely worth it !! .. here's something i wrote up for a friend:

Larger groups are better, more fun, otherwise there is ABSOLUTELY nobody up there to enjoy it with. Plan to go swimming, the crater lake is absolutely beautiful but very deep: bring flip-flops, sun screen (i'm burnt to a crisp), and a change of clothes. There are chained-up canoes at the lake that we wish we had known to inquire about at Santa Juliana. I'm a decent swimmer and wanted to swim across the portion of the lake (it's a big lake) closest to the trail (100-150m), but the prospect of having no way to be rescued ruled that out (it's VERY VERY deep).

Do bring food (more than you would think) and an able supply of water. Close to the top of the trail there was a mountain spring that our guide said we could drink from and so far no stomach problems :-) For the hike do wear hiking shoes you're prepared to get wet in, you will be cross over the same stream a lot. Runners will absolutely not cut it; my cousin's went straight to the trash afterwards.

We left Santa Juliana 7ish and were all at the lake (we were a large group, one aunt had a hip problem) by noon, we stayed there till 3ish, and were all down by 7ish. Note the entire trek is half 4x4 and half hiking. I don't know about staying the night ... i would consider it only for pictures of the sunrise/sunset. Please do plan to carry out your garbage.

My uncle organized the trip from capas where he runs a small resort (coco grill off the hiway if you're interested) It was a trial run, and he say's he'll do it again soon. He arranged everything but the cost stated in the latest ed. of lonely planet are about right. Hope this helps, it’s what I would have liked to have read beforehand myself. cheers, g2

Tags: Adventures

About g2


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Philippines

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.