Existing Member?

What's That? First Experiences In China.

My Scholarship entry - Understanding a Culture through Food

WORLDWIDE | Thursday, 22 March 2012 | Views [167] | Scholarship Entry

It is said that the Chinese will eat anything that flies (except airplanes) and anything with legs (except tables). This may sound harsh but it is certainly true that the Chinese eat an astounding variety of food. My first experiences with Chinese food date back to when I was a child and our family's big night out was to go to our local Chinese restaurant in Bondi Junction. My favourite was the spring roll. It was the type of fare that has hardly changed in 50 years in local Chinese restaurants in Australia; lemon chicken, beef and black bean sauce et al.
Fast forward to 2008 and I am sitting in a Qingdao restaurant with two Chinese friends who have ordered our lunch. I couldn't read the menu as it was totally in Chinese. They assured me I would enjoy the meal. When the plates began to arrive, I began to panic. "What's that black stuff?" I enquired.
"Black fungus, it's delicious," my companion replied eagerly. "Qingdao is a seaside city, so it is a specialty." She seemed especially proud to be able to say this, and, as I was to learn later, people from all parts of China take great pride in introducing lao wai (foreigners) like me to the local specialties. Other plates kept on coming, one of which I recognised instantly. “Wait a minute, that’s not Chinese food. It’s just tomato and egg.”
“Yes”, replied my friend. “Delicious Chinese food. You try.” I did and delicious it was.
There are many places in China I have not visited, but I have taken great pride in trying out “real” Chinese food, the kind of which I would never have dreamed of eating at home in Australia. Things like tiny shellfish cooked in oil, garlic and chili, sucked directly from their shells. Simple vegetable dishes like broccoli soaked in garlic sauce have been a favourite as has my ultimate in Chinese cuisine, the dumpling, dipped into a mix of vinegar, soy and garlic. To be also able to sample these culinary delights in the home of a Chinese family is to be truly blessed!

Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2012

About fuzhou


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.