Existing Member?

growing up

Surrey girl no more

SPAIN | Sunday, 27 March 2011 | Views [357]

I move dto Lanzarote on the basis of a Gap year. I arrived in the country 4 hours late but i was greeted by my future partner Cesar. He was bothered about waiting 4 hours. Canarians have no sense of time or worry as you will learn. Instead of taking me to my new apartment he took me to his summer house in El Golfo.

   I have never been so impressed by a house in my life. Firstly it was an apartment not a house but it was so beautifully situated it took your breathe away. It still does for everyone visiting. Its was three bedroomed, blue and white apartment on the beach. Actually sitting on the stoned beach overlooking the sunset there is nothing more surreal and beautiful in this world that i have seen or that i can conpare.

 He informed me we were going crabbing for his 40 or so members of the family that have just arrive. I point out that 40 is only a small percentage of his family. Although i came from Surrey, i had spent every summer in the New forest and had been carbbing before. But nothing prepared me for this. Dangling off the edge of a cliff, in the pitch black, one hand with a torch, the other with a net, trying not to get taken away by the more than 5 metre waves bashing in, just waiting for Cesar to appear.

When he did he had 2 crabs in his hands, 2 under his armpits and one in between his crutch.We collected over 50 crabs that night. When we got back to his family i sat with the men eating the crabs, while all the women were eating cake and drinking coffee inside. That was the first glimpse if canarian life. 

Tags: canarian, crabs, culture, lanzarote, sunset

 

About freya13


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Spain

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.