Existing Member?

Frequent Flyer

San Diego

USA | Wednesday, 28 February 2007 | Views [603]

Well here I am again. Sitting around waiting for taxi to take me to the airport. This is the 9th flight out of 10 taking me around the globe in just under two weeks.

Why I hear you ask? Well I guess that's what it takes when you are trying to do something exceptional. I'm a Director of World Nomads and the guy responsible for putting together the insurance companies and safety services behind our business. Every now and then I have to make sure our partners know how important our members are. As the saying goes, it's a tough job but someone's got to do it...

Anyhow, today's Top Tips for anyone else stupid enough to attempt this kind of trip;

  • Have a 'flight comfort plan'. This can pretty much include anything that will make you sleep quickly once you’re in your seat. My personal plan includes PJs, a good book and some hard-core insurance regulation papers (this one's sure-fire). Alcohol is also highly recommended.

  • Never let customs/car rental/hotel receptionists/airline staff ever upset you. This can particularly be a problem with customs staff. If traveling through US customs BE COOL as any sign of happiness, anger or impatience could end up in a long delay and an introduction to latex gloves (if you know what I mean).

  • Don't trust 'we'll check your luggage through to your destination' statements at baggage check in as wearing the same clothes for three days can get a little boring! - Turning up at the beach in a suit also brings some interesting looks. Know where your baggage is going and don't loose the baggage check receipt.

  • Get into local time asap. If you've traveled all night and arrive at your destination in the morning follow a normal local day and try not to sleep - This works.

  • Print out all your connections/flight numbers/hotel contact details and keep them with your passport. I've had to fill out half a dozen landing cards on this trip and you may need this info.

  • If you want to keep your mates and family's good books do check the time at home before you call them. This goes double if you are 'tired & emotional' after an extended night on the local brew!!!

That's all the pearls of wisdom for now, and I'll update the trip with the inevitable problems that will occur between here and Wonderful Warm Sydney. Cheerio....

Tags: insurance, travel tips, world nomads

 

About frequentflyer


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.