Existing Member?

Andes2Alps The goal is to visit all mountain top from the Andes to the Alpes - or at least dream about it

3 Valleys in the French Alps

FRANCE | Tuesday, 28 January 2014 | Views [2117]

If I had a boon to travel back in time, I would just love to relive my awesome winter holidays in the Three Valleys, nestled in the French Alps. Ranked among the world's elite skiing destinations, this enormous French ski area is home to the fabulous resorts of Courchevel, Meribel and Val Thorens.

Courchevel France Alps

Both my wife and I have never been to Courchevel, situated in the commune of Saint-Bon Tarentaise, although we have skied in the other resorts of the Three Valleys. So, this time, we decided to give Courchevel a go. From London, we flew to Geneva, which is 120 miles away from Courchevel. Luckily, the weather conditions permitted us to fly to Courchevel, otherwise we would have opted for a private transfer from the airport.

Considered as the creme de la creme of all the three valley resorts, Courchevel is one of the most impressive and extensive ski areas in the world. Well, it is considered expensive too but there are plenty of accommodations to suit different budgets and tastes. Courchevel is not a single destination but a pack of four ski villages, named after their altitudes. Le Praz(1300) is the lowest village, next is Courchevel Village(1550), then Moriond(1650) and finally Courchevel 1850, the largest resort in the region.

Courchevel France

Courchevel comprises 150km of alpine ski runs with 58 lifts. As an intermediate skier, I found the central run of Combe Saulire and the red runs off the Marmottes and Creux Noirs perfect to test my skills and techniques. Whereas, my better half who is a complete beginner had absolute fun in the ZEN areas, dedicated to learners. Besides its immaculate pistes and stunning scenery, this world-class resort boosts a great selection of excellent restaurants, designer boutiques, and vibrant nightlife options. But just make sure you are not on a budget.

Off the slopes, we tried bowling and watched a French movie in the cinemas. Like my wife who learnt French on location, you may also find the tranquil mountains to be an ideal setting for enhancing your skills. After a week's stay in Courchevel, we headed to the idyllic Lake Annecy. Just 2 hours by road from Courchevel, Lake Annecy is internationally renowned for its picturesque landscapes, historic town, scenic gardens, and sports and cultural activities. Palais de l'Isle, the 17th century prison, Chateau d'Annecy, now housing the Art and History Conservatory, and the European Gardens, established in 1863, are some of the popular attractions that we were able to visit in this town.

Then, we travelled by train to Chamonix, the traditional Alpine town at the foot of the world-famous Mont-Blanc. Since the weather was bad, we were not able to ski in the fascinating range of slopes in this charming region. But had a wonderful time visiting the numerous museums and the Merlet Animal Park in Chamonix. We also enjoyed the incredibly famous Mont Blanc Tramway trip, soaking up the glorious views over the surrounding valleys. (Important: Check if the Tramway lifts are open before you plan your day)   The much-popular Saturday outdoor market in Chamonix coincided with our visit. So we picked some unique local crafts from the market and packed our bags, along with all the great memories and experiences that I now yearn to relive again and again.

Images © benjigibbs

Tags: alps, france, skiing

About frenchi


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about France

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.