Existing Member?

Fifi's World

Gasping at Europe's Beauty

KENYA | Wednesday, 14 May 2014 | Views [244] | Scholarship Entry

Resplendent; clean air; magnificent architectural designs; world class transportation that Europe is famed for would be an experience for a lifetime for anyone.
For a girl who had only flown once in her life, not to any of the European cities but rather another African country; an opportunity to travel to Europe would be an adventure in wonderland. Movies and magazines brought to life the beauty that is Europe. Getting a well paying job to enable me experience European escapades is a thought that I have entertained for a long time. I finally found myself here; in London.
My name is Fiona Imbali, a Kenyan student currently pursuing my graduate studies at the London School of Economics and Political Science. When I landed in London, late last year, I was mesmerized by the beautiful city; the first European city that I had ever traveled to. However, as a student on scholarship, travels around Europe is impossible due to funds. Kenya is different from Europe.
Kenya is famed for its African safaris. It is the only African country whose capital city boasts of a national park; the Nairobi national park. Sometimes Lions wonder freely and lie on roads causing traffic jams. The Maasai Mara; the 7th wonder of the world and the beautiful sandy beaches are also the pride of Kenya.
Europe on the other hand has a rich history of the different cultures from all over the world. Reading Gulliver’s travels around the world in 80 days when growing up, I knew I had to experience some of the epic adventures. Travelling to different European cities by train would be magical. Since independence, Kenya has only been able to extend a few kilometers of railway line. From London to Berlin in less than 2 hours is surreal.
Fiona’s travels in Europe would be a dream come true.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About frenchfiona


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Kenya

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.