Existing Member?

Calm in Kerala

My Scholarship entry - A local encounter that changed my life

WORLDWIDE | Thursday, 12 April 2012 | Views [338] | Scholarship Entry

I started to relax as our boat moored off and we slowly meandered along the backwaters. The shores were lined with palm trees, offering coconuts in abundance to float by in the waters that nourished them. As the houseboat made its way through a carpet of waterlilies which had made these waterways their home, I suddenly felt a peace descend upon me.
As evening approached, we moored up next to another boat where an old man was on deck catching fish. His white hair in contrast to his brown skin, leathered from years of working on these waters. He was wearing a piece of cloth wrapped around his waist, and a cream shirt with the sleeves rolled just above his elbows, which somehow he managed to keep clean. I joined him, and he smiled a toothless grin at me whilst handing me another rod. This consisted of nothing more than a bamboo stick with fishing wire and a hook attached which he baited for me.
We sat side by side at the very front of the boat, our feet dangling over the edge, with no sound but the water lapping against the sides, not really able to communicate, but finding no need for words. Totally comfortable in each others presence we waited patiently until I felt a tug. I pulled in the line but was disappointed to find it empty. I tried again, but to no avail! As darkness was descending and the mosquitoes were now in full force, it was obvious I was not giving up. He took one of his fish, put it on the end of my line and threw it in. I shouted to my fellow travellers to see my catch of the day. They were all cheering and clapping, and he was laughing and patting my back, so happy that he could give me my moment of glory.  Reluctantly, I took my leave and let him concentrate on his own fishing.
As I sat on deck, watching the fireflies lighting up the night sky, like hundreds of fairy lights surrounding me, I came to the realization that it is these precious moments in life which we need to treasure, and that life really can be a simple pleasure.

Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2012

About freespirit40

Kerala Houseboat

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.