Existing Member?

Life Away From Home

An Unexpected Life

AUSTRALIA | Sunday, 11 May 2014 | Views [140] | Scholarship Entry

All throughout my life I wanted to study away from home. I grew up in Singapore with a loud and insanely close family. Despite being close I still felt the need to branch out on my own and try and forge a path for myself. Without anyone's knowledge I applied to various universities overseas and got offers from them. When I finally informed my mother she said going to America was too far. I was speaking to my best friend about it and she was studying in Brisbane at the time. Our conversation turned into one of, "How amazing would it be if we lived together abroad?", that's really how I came to be in Brisbane.

I rarely do the whole spontaneous travel bit, I am quite the worrier and planner, but applying to study in Australia and just coming here soon after was a good choice. By saying ,"Yes" to this opportunity, I was able to travel to Melbourne, Sydney and take a roadtrip from Brisbane to Canberra and back with my best friend. I believe that life is made up of a bunch of moments that we've committed to memory and that the people we share these experiences with can make or break that memory. I've been fortunate enough to have been able to spend 2 and a half years living, studying and travelling around Australia with my best friend.

Living away from home isn't always easy, but taking that leap and moving away to learn more about yourself and how resilient you are is well worth it.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About fredakay


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.