Existing Member?

Not as planned...

Bread

INDIA | Tuesday, 25 June 2013 | Views [241]

Yesterday I decided to do my good action for the day and give some food to one of the neirgborhood's stray dogs. She's a cute, medium sized black dog and I had been noticing her for the last few days; she's always scanning the street in search of something to eat. It looks like she can find enough to survive but certainly not to thrive. She's extremely thin, does not have an ounce of fat on her little body; you could count her ribs if she stopped for a second from searching and her waistline is so small she would make any anoressic (dog) model jealous (ha ha). In spite of this, she has a cute, smart face with big ears and bright eyes, she's always alert and very quick to jump away at any unexpected move random humans around her may do.

Of course, I didn't have anything that I thought a dog would eat besides some bread. I saw I had a new bag of sliced bread so I though I could use the few slices left in the old one for this purpose; I took the bag with the remaining bread and went outside to look for the dog. I walked just a couple of houses down the street and there she was. I called her and threw a little piece of bread at her. She cleaned it in a heartbit. When I threw the second one a small kid that I had often seen playing with the other children on the street approached me. He gestured at my bag of bread speaking animately in his language, I couldn't understand what he wanted. "Do you want this?" I smiled, I didn't think he did. Maybe he was just curious of what I had in the bag, he certainly wouldn't like my stale bread. I gave him a piece to try and he seemed to taste it first and then he ate it slowly. He pointed in the direction of an old man sitting on the pavement in front of a house under constructions a few meters away. I hadn't payed much attention to him, all my energies focused on the dog. I looked at him better. He was quite old, his hair white and he wore big glasses. He had a nice blue and white checkered shirt and instead of pants he was wearing that piece of fabric that I have seen some men wearing, down to their knees, I don't know how it's called. His legs, folded under him, were extremely thin. Actually, he was extremely thin. Uncertain, I handed the bag with the old bread to the kid, who went back where the man was, sat down next to him and gave the bag to him. The man, without a word, started eating the bread, the kid chewing a few pieces here and there as if to keep him company (he's not a street kid). I stayed there, humbled and dumbfounded, watching the man eating, finishing all the bread I had thought almost no longer edible and that I had saved for a dog, while the dog didn't know anymore whether to expect something from me or go try her luck with the kid and the old man, but she slowly understood that she was not going to get more for this time.     

About franci333


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.