Existing Member?

Oriental Traveler

My birthday

JAPAN | Monday, 21 January 2008 | Views [509] | Comments [5]

Well, today was my 20th birthday and what a birthday it was! We are still in Osaka until tomorrow and we did about two tour days in one. The golden pavilion, a couple temples and a kimono factory. Our group then split up and my half went to get Okonomiyaki (お好み焼き, Okonomiyaki?), which is a pan-fried Japanese dish cooked with various ingredients. Okonomi means "what you like" or "what you want", and yaki means "grilled" or "cooked" (cf. yakitori and yakisoba); thus, the name of this dish means "cook what you like, the way you like". In Japan, okonomiyaki is usually associated with the Kansai or Hiroshima areas, but is widely available throughout the country. Toppings and batters tend to vary according to region. Kind of expensive but Allison bought me my birthday beer.

I got shrip Okonomiyaki and it was SOO GOOD! I have been eating everything. Everyone sang happy birthday to me on the bus this morning. For lunch though most of the girls just got a choco-banana crepe with whip cream and grahm crackers, it was super yummy!

for a busy day we only spent maybe a total of 3 hours on the bus which was an alright amount. Oh I almost forgot- after dinner (there was 16 of us) we went and did karaoke for my birthday. 800 yen for an hour of unlimited drinks excluding beer but you could get other mixed beverages.. Pictures to follow shortly.

p.s. I bought a few things today, two for myself and one for SOS (someone special). PICTURES go see!!

Tags: Food & eating

Comments

1

I would love to see the pictures, but how and where do I go?
I went to the photo tab and typed in foxba2s2on and Oriental Traveler, but nothing! Am I doing something wrong or not going to the right place or typing in wrong thing? Help I want to see.

Glad to hear that you had an awesome Birthday!
mom

  MOM Jan 22, 2008 3:38 AM

2

Happy Birthday! I know it is probably tomorrow there but it is still your birthday there. I hope you are having the time of your life. Please be safe. Eat all you want. (trust me you won't notice a pound or two) :)

Love ya,
Sharon

  A. Sharon Jan 22, 2008 10:11 AM

3

Happy Birthday hun! Sounds like an awesome one :) Keep having fun and being safe...I can't wait to hear all about it!! <3

  Tiffany Jan 22, 2008 1:57 PM

4

Jess,
Happy Birthday
Miss You Glade To Hear You Are Having Such A Good Time .I Wish I Could Be Seeing All Of Those Things With You and Hearing You Explain Everything;Talk TO You Later Love You Grandma.

ps. Grandma typed this herself!

  grandma Jan 23, 2008 10:25 AM

5

OMG it sounds like your having SOOO much fun
how exciting is that

  tabi Jan 24, 2008 12:18 AM

About foxba2s2on


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Japan

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.