Existing Member?

Little Moments

The Little Things

USA | Wednesday, 27 May 2015 | Views [108] | Comments [1] | Scholarship Entry

On a whim I decide to end my road trip to Raleigh, North Carolina with a brief stop at a local farmer’s market. I had never been to a farmer’s market. The out-of-date map on my GPS almost ensured that I never would. After several questionable turns, I find my way to the open field that houses the covered wooden pavilions of the NC State Farmer’s Market. I do not know what to expect. I am merely seeking another distraction to avoid facing the reality waiting for me back home. I took this unscheduled road trip to Raleigh to escape my 33rd birthday. This is my first birthday alone. My twin sister had recently died, and the thought of being home, amongst the familiar, is unbearable.

I walk aimlessly along the long stretch of yellows, greens, and reds. Then, the smell of seafood stops me in my tracks. Tucked away behind the main concourse is a small and unassuming eatery. A few scattered wooden picnic tables outside. Plain tables and chairs inside. The smell of seafood and hot grease hang in the air. There is nothing enticing about the place beyond the call for crab cakes stirring this Maryland girl forward into the NC Seafood Restaurant.

I step inside and walk up to the counter. Immediately, I order the crab cakes. The main event. My eyes scan the menu and an old familiar friend greets my gaze, hushpuppies. I remember hushpuppies. I like hushpuppies. I order a side. My number is called and the food arrives unceremoniously in a white styrofoam clamshell container. After the first bite, I decide that the crab cakes are fine. I am from Maryland, all crab cakes are essentially fine outside my home state lines.

The hushpuppies, however, are amazing. Every bite a childhood memory revisited. I remember giggling with my sister about the funny name. I remember us gobbling up the complementary serving during family dinners at a local seafood house. I remember how much we loved the light popability of popcorn shrimp and hushpuppies.

As I sit and enjoy these small golden nuggets, for a moment the pain stops. I’m not sad. I’m not tired. I’m happy. These hushpuppies are the most perfect hushpuppies, if ever a perfect hushpuppy were made. Soft, yet crunchy. Sweet, yet savory. They are a little breaded balm soothing my broken heart. I think about how my sister would have loved these hushpuppies and smile.

I immortalize my hushpuppies on Facebook. This is a great travel moment. I order a few more for the road. I am ready to go home.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

Comments

1

Beautifully put, it is definitely the simple things that get us through.

  carocrocker Jun 3, 2015 12:57 PM

About foureyesonepassport


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.