Existing Member?

Tales from a Rolling Stone

Unwanted

ARGENTINA | Monday, 15 September 2008 | Views [623]

So as I mentioned in my last post, I was really, really, REALLY looking forward to Bolivia.  Apparently it wasn´t looking forward to us.  Yeah we knew there were riots, the US Ambassador had been excused (ie kicked out), the president had suspended half of the country´s constitutional rights, and the US had put out a travel advisory to avoid it, BUT Jen and I were still game.  I mean really, were the hunger protesters going to get the Pres in the gut by coming to the salt flats?  Probably not, but nonetheless, just as we were planning to leave Salta we were told that the border with Bolivia was closed.  Unfortunately, cant cross the border just by being game. 

Still a bummer.

Anywho, after going back and forth about whether or not we should try to wait out the political upheaval and still try to continue with our original plan, we finally came to the conclusion that Bolivia would not fall back into peace by Wednesday (after asking the opinion of numerous experts, such as the guy who works at our hostel, the center left fielder of the soccer team, and the guy who sells bus tickets).  So, our new plan is to head into Chile and check out the much more expensive salt flats there (lame), then head straight up to Peru which will actually give Jen the chance to check out Macchu Pichu, although with our luck Peru will spontaneously combust two days before we´re supposed to arrive (or at the very least be really cloudy and rainy).

That´s about all.  Will upload photos in a few days (I swear) - got some pretty cool ones from a mini road trip Jen and I took in a rented Volkswagon to Cafayate, an itty-bitty desert town that´s home to some of the most beautiful desert-rock scenery I´ve ever seen.  I realize it doesn´t sound cool here, but you´ll see when I get the pictures up.

Ciao!

 

About forgettable_blue


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Argentina

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.