Existing Member?

World adventures

How to Prepare for Adventure Hiking and What to Bring with You

ITALY | Sunday, 25 May 2008 | Views [539]

Hiking is a good adventure and outdoor activity to practice.

If you think to organize an adventure hiking trip than read these simple guide to start to organize your trip. As you can see the guide is formed by these sections where you can find the core aspects you need to enjoy.

How to plan a trip

# Define Your Trip Style Does hiking in the Adirondacks or the Rockies sound like fun? Do you want to camp out at night, bunk in a rural hut or overnight in a luxurious lodge? Would you rather walk from one European town to the next, stopping at small cafes where you can chat with locals while eating lunch? Does trekking on rough trails in third-world countries push your "do it" button? Once you've defined your wish-list it's time to find a trip.

# Finding Your Trip Now that you've dialled in on the hiking, trekking or walking trip that most appeals to you it’s time to find a trip. Many companies, including these offer walking and hiking trips. Talk to each company that has a trip of interest and ask what shape you must be in to enjoy the experience.(On some European walking trips, cars will pick you if you decide not to walk all the way to the next town.)

# Are You in Good Enough Shape? You may walk a mile or two on pavement comfortably, but can you walk four or five miles a day – or more– on varied terrain without collapsing on the couch for the rest of the afternoon? Once you've chosen a trip, ask the tour company what physical fitness you should be at to take the trip. Then, create a plan to ensure you are ready physically.

# Ways to Get in Shape for Walking and Hiking For many trips it's okay to start your training a month or two before you leave for vacation. Spending time at the gym working with weights and on a treadmill, StairMaster or stationary bike is one route. Supplement the training with long walks or hikes on weekends, preferably on dirt trails instead of pavement. Jogging on toughens you up and increase your agility and stamina.

Visit the fitness page on Aboutcoms walking website for other ideas. Before examining some of the common pieces of hiking gear that you should bring with you on your hiking adventure, as well as other hiking supplies, it is important that you take the length of your adventure into consideration. If you are planning on camping overnight on a hiking trail or in a hiking park, you will need to have some extra supplies, like a camping tent, sleeping bag, and so fourth. The items can serve as a great starting point for you, but you may also want to think about creating your own hiking adventure checklist. Hiking equipment is gear or equipment that one takes along on an outdoors hiking trip.

While hiking is considered different from backpacking (overnight camping), the equipment is of need of a shorter term more practical nature for such a walk. However even for a day trip it is prudent to pack at least rudimentary solutions for eventualities that may arise including being forced to stay the night, getting lost, or accidents.

Hiking equipment may be considered in several categories

* Items Worn

- Things that a hiker wears on the hiking trip. This may include footwear, clothing, headgear.

* Carrying Items

- Backpacks, waist packs, walking sticks or staffs.

* Essential gear

- Items that are essential for the hike safety or necessary in potential emergency.

* Food and drink

- Food items to consume as snacks, lunch, or in emergencies.

* Optional Items

- Any other items the hiker needs to bring along including seating pads, chairs, notebooks, hammocks, and sometimes even computers. Weight and bulk limit the equipment that one can carry (if one follows the principle of Leave No Trace and does not discard items on the trail).

Criteria for packing an item include weight, bulk (size), number of alternative uses and the chances of each of those uses becoming clear, weighed against the importance. For example, a whistle may seem unlikely to become necessary, but can be real life-saver when it does and weighs next to nothing. Other items, like a sleeping bag, can also be important but can also be restricting, so a simpler alternative like an extra layer of clothing might be a better idea.

List of Gear to Pack:

# Sleeping Gear

* Sleeping bag (good to below freezing, 15 deg C previous years) * Tent, strong in wind and waterproof in heavy rain * Small tarp for under your tent or pad, or to roll up in as the "human burrito" in heavy windstorms * Sleeping pad

# Cooking/ Camping Gear

* Flashlight, headlamp is best, spare batteries * Cooking utensils (share) * Stove (one burner or share big one) * Cord for tent/tarp * Lantern (optional, share) * Folding chair * Three quarts/litres total capacity canteens/bottles - Camelbak or equivalent is recommended

# Hiking Gear

* Backpack – optional; no backpack trips required, but there will be excellent opportunity * Daypack * Belt pack – optional but recommended * Hiking boots, sturdy (all leather is best), boot grease * Gaiters – lightweight is fine (for weeds, not snow) * First aid: gauze pads, band-aids, tape, disinfectant, antifungal cream, ibuprofin, + more * Moleskin * Insect repellent * Sewing kit * Pocket knife * Emergency whistle * Sunscreen * Sunhat * Rain parka Personal / Other * Watch/travel clock with alarm * Filter pump, share (not needed except for optional overnight backpacking) * Shoes/sandals * Clothes for warm and cold weather. Don't bring more than necessary. * Toothbrush. * Swimsuit * Musical instrument (optional, share guitar?); Playing cards, or other games (optional) * Credit card (for emergencies) * Travellers checks for your food and incidentals, ~ $10 - 15/day worth * Medical insurance claim forms, if needed for your insurance * Postage stamps—for letters and postcards

About foren83


Where I've been

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.