Existing Member?

Food experiments

Confessions at Hauptbahnhof

GERMANY | Friday, 2 May 2014 | Views [178] | Scholarship Entry

How did I end up here? No money, no food, no place to sleep - and I still feel happier than before because I'm on the road again. Uncertainty fills my veins with adrenaline, risks and vulnerabilities comfort and feed my soul, hungry for adventures...
Main railway station in Berlin has seen many emotions: hugs and kisses, tears and breakups, solitudes and friendships. I found myself there one summer morning; I have just arrived from Oslo and was meant to share a car on the way to Paris. Before that day carpooling worked smoothly, but that morning I couldn't believe my eyes having got the text message: "Hi, my car got broken and I need to fix it, so the trip is cancelled.Apologies" -all in German.Yes, I know German, and I know that from now on my travelling levelled up, from "pre-booked and well-planned" to "how did I end up here?". No panic. Unique chance to explore unknown city instead of leaving immediately to Paris which I know like the palm of the hand.
No affordable hostels: high peak season. Logged in to couchsurfing, sent requests. Time for sightseeing and culture, Museum of human physiology on the way, free entrance, why not. Musicians at Alexanderplatz, Reichstag, sitting next to the river... Smiles, random talks, positive mood but still no idea what to do next. Back to Hauptbahnhof - the best free wifi place. Couchsurfing replies are negative, people are already spending their holidays at seaside, not in the city. It's getting dark and warm; railway hall is full of all kinds of people and smells. I touch this evening: it's velvet; I taste it: it's bitter-sweet; I hear it: it's humming a slight hardly audible melody of freedom; I see it: it's dark with sparkles of stars. I sit on my sleeping bag and confess to myself (and to Hauptbahnhof ) that I would live this day again. Twenty minutes later I will receive a positive reply from couchsurfing and will spend five incredible days in German capital.
Sometimes we call it troubles; but these are alternative ways given to us to reassess the values, to stop, to breathe, and...to embrace the unknown.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About food4life


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Germany

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.