Existing Member?

Let me tell you a bit more about...

A quokka ate my tent!

AUSTRALIA | Saturday, 26 April 2014 | Views [164] | Scholarship Entry

Most people remember Rottnest Island for its turquoise water, its deserted beaches and its funny little inhabitants : the quokkas. Rumor has it, these beautiful creatures are a mixt between kangaroos and rats. I sure don't want any details on how this happened, but the result is a miniature version of a Roo that attracts tourists from all around the world. I was one of them. Nontheless, as the boat approached the island, I already knew my experience in Rottnest was going to be a bit different from the postcards. The rain was pouring down and the island was a ghost town. Well it was winter after all. I still decided to face the unwelcoming weather to set up my tent for the night before I started walking around the island. My first encounter with the inhabitants happened during lunchtime. While I was eating peas directly out of the can (feeling relieved that no one was around to see that), I felt a tiny paw on my back. After a lound scream I turned to face a cute little quokka eating the peas that fell off the can. Few seconds later, there were ten of them around me. Never mind the rain, this place had just became my favorite spot in Australia.
That was before I decided to go back to the camp. Two fellow travellers (the only ones on the camp site) offered me to share a warm meal and play cards. It's only when we went back to our tents that we discovered the fluffy little quokkas had enjoyed a lovely diner too... Amuse Bouche : the tent. Main course : the Inside of our tent. And apparently they skipped dessert to take a nap straight away. I had in front of me a soft mattress, 100% quokkas !
That's when I realised the night was going to be... epic!

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About followmylead


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.