Existing Member?

Flores Island - The Gem of East Indonesia

My Travel Writing Scholarship 2011 entry - My Big Adventure

WORLDWIDE | Sunday, 27 March 2011 | Views [190] | Scholarship Entry

My friend and I finally visited Flores, our dream destination after few months prepared the itinerary.

Flores is a very nice island, located in east Indonesia. It's a quite remote island, far from the capital city so that's why Flores island is not well developed yet, compared the other island. But that's the magnet for us. We looked for the adventure.

There are so many ethnics in Flores. The attraction are traditional villages with nice people who always welcomes you to visit, Komodo dragon, very beautiful and colorful underwater, Kelimutu the famous 3 color volcano lake which changes color because of the volcanic activity. Also Riung, 17 islands with beautiful underwater. It's very safe for you to travel alone in Flores.



Most of the local people is very nice! Unfortunately, most of them can't speak English, only the tourist guide. The food is quite expensive because they bring the commodity mostly from Java or Sumatra and the shipment depends on the sea condition. I love taking bus in Flores. I can talk with the local, they will tell the story or else. The funny things with transportation in Flores, though you call it bus, it will drop you in front of the hotel or pick up you in the hotel. So, if they pick you up first, you will come with them, pick up the other passengers. To be truth, the bus is not so comfy. The driver will carry as many as he can!! The road condition (trans Flores) is not so safe too.

In remote area, the hostel or accommodation is very standard or sometime is very dirty! only in Labuan Bajo or Komodo Island or some private island has a very good but expensive accommodation. The communication is not very bad too. You can still use phone or mobile phone. Well, don't expect there is a hospital like in your city. Flores or East Indonesia is one of the place which has a small amount of doctor unfortunately.



The best think I won't forget and makes me wanna come back again and again is all the kind hearted people who welcomes us along the journey :). From a very nice the tea seller who accompanied us in Kelimutu until the people in Bena village who welcomed us after we had heavy rain and wet! I hope that I can help the children, the people there so they can have a better living. They are too nice to be abandoned.

Come visit Flores someday and promise you, you'll love it!!

Tags: #2011Writing, Travel Writing Scholarship 2011

About flores


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.