Existing Member?

flieshi

A Local Encounter that Changed my Perspective - Never Assume

ISRAEL | Friday, 19 April 2013 | Views [167] | Scholarship Entry

After a long fight from Texas my husband and I arrived in Tel Aviv, Israel. Even though we were tired from the crowded flight we went straight ahead to the beautiful and sacred city of Jerusalem. The twenty-four guest room hotel we had booked was perfect. Many years past it had served as a British Military hospital. Each quest room was different. Ours was perfect, the spacious balcony over-looked the 'Old City'. The Islamic 'call to prayer' intermingled with the sweet sound of the birds perched on the balcony railing.
Even though it was late evening my husband insisted that we walk the short trek into the 'Old City'. He wanted me to experience the 'Wailing Wall' a historical and sacred site in Judism.
My husband had lived in the area and his knowledge of this ancient area was invaluable in helping me get the most out of this fabulous opportunity to explore an amazing place.
After strolling through the maze of cobble-stoned streets and through the spice-laden bazaar we reached the entrance to the 'Wailing Wall". Large crowds were celebrating Orthodox Easter that Friday evening so it was much busier than usual.
I couldn't wait to touch the 'Wall'.
I was wearing short sleeves so I was required to don a shawl before entering. I covered my arms and head and headed toward the 'Wall'. The going was slow but I inched along stepping through and around the mass of people.
Finally, I was just a few feet away and reaching forward. It was not to be. All of a sudden I felt several strong hands grabbing me around the waist and I was being dragged backwards away from the wall. People were were yelling in several languages which I didn't understand.
After being rudely deposited outside the 'Wall' entrance a nice Jewish gentleman from New York explained to me that I had been 'misdirected' because I had entered the wall on the MEN"S side. women not allowed.
Wow, no one had even warned me and I never thought to ask.
But I know now!!!
Always ask and reseach the places you plan to visit, you'll get much more out of it as and you'll be safer.




Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2013

About flieshi


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Israel

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.