Existing Member?

My wicked world Head in the clouds, feet on the ground, mind on food and heart on the road!

Tunisia

ROMANIA | Thursday, 27 January 2011 | Views [363]

As you have probably read, this year has been crazy for me – exam in February, Turkey & Israel in June, but the biggest hurdle was my surgery. Of course most people around me were more panicked than I was, but I was too preoccupied to get home as soon as possible. After the hospitalization, I lived with my parents. Don’t get me wrong, I love them to death, but being smothered is not my style. I know they meant well, but at some point I had to tell them – ok, I love you, but I need to go home. During my recuperation I attended Dina’s wedding, which was a blast. Around August, the parental unit brought up the idea of traveling again – one more reason I love them for. However the destination was Tunisia, a place they have visited the year before and they’ve been praising it back and forth. I was not thrilled at all to go, but they insisted – and i do mean insisted – it got to the point that they paid my vacation AND got me a separate room (dad is snoring like a machine and I refused another vacation in the same room with him). That being said, we were on our way.

The flight was from Cluj to Tunis (last year they landed smack near the resort, but this year it was not the case – from the airport a “mere” 4 hour trip by bus awaited. The flight was ok, but when they brought the food we thought it was a joke – one tiny sandwich with chicken and a glass of water. By the time we reached the hotel it was almost 2 a.m. The front desk clerk told us he only had rooms on the ground floor – I knew the instant we approached the front desk that it wouldn’t be easy, it never is. We spent one night in those rooms, famished, then went back to get other rooms that were promised. Needless to say we were told to return at 9 a.m and got the rooms a little after 12 p.m. By that time I was too tired to care, and after lunch I went straight to bed. Having our nerves stretched to the limit, of course we snapped. Dad was not happy with anything, Mom was disappointed in everything, saying that last year it was much better, and I pointed out, quite subtly that why did they insist on coming when we are treated like vermin (forgot to mention that we saw to guide the day we got there, and the day we left) – the time of departure was sent via text message (some service I have to say). But after some much deserved sleep all was good in the land of Tunis. We spent many lazy mornings and afternoons by the poolside and seaside, ate very good food, swam in the pools (cold water) and sea (warm-ish water) – my Dad even challenged me in swimming – silly, silly man. My favorite activity was walking on the beach at night before dinner, listening to music, and making up stories.

When we left, we were supposed to pick other passengers on the way. Of course there was a 40 minutes delay because some of them had no idea when they had to be ready. The airport affair was one marathon, but managed to stop to buy some souvenirs. The flight back was not spectacular, considering the sandwich being the same size and some students gathered and chatted it up. Lovely!

Returning to Cluj, I couldn’t wait to get in the car and drive home – another one hour and a half. By the time we reached the apartment, I promised I was done with traveling this year. Yeah, right! October found me in a new state of being – a student. That miracle lasted for one month, as I got fed up with them – I mean when you have the subject “English literature” you are not supposed to study grammar – there are other times for that. So the second university was a disappointment but I sucked it up.

November not rich in experiences, but December had a lot to promise – more traveling. At the beginning of the month just stepped over to Budapest for 2 days and right now I am writing from Germany where so far I have spent some amazing moments with some amazing people! 

As I end this entry, I wish everyone a very Happy 2010, full of joy, laughter and good luck!

Tags: flying, travel, tunisia

About fiy3ro


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Romania

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.