Existing Member?

Walking, running or flying! Just... go through! Latin American, Peruvian, Economist's student and traveller. You're the googlemaps of your life ;)

Oktoberfestland

PERU | Friday, 22 May 2015 | Views [407]

Here I was, 2 years ago I decided to do an exchange programme. The chosen place: Munich. Yes, the capital of: Oktoberfest, Bayer Munich football team, BMW and Bavaria. How is it to a latin american student flying more than 15 hours, crossing the Atlantic Ocean and knowing nobody in a country where she could only speak basic German? Well, not easy obviously, but grateful to live the experience. For 6 months all I knew was: English was going to become my main tongue, speaking Spanish will be a miracle, improving my German will be my day-to-day and my new friends will be my new family. 

The first days I was afraid, yes, afraid. Is not easy not to know anyone and if you add that taking the S-Bahn and the U-Bahn was all new for me, then the next question would be: why if you knew this would happen you risk your life? My life... Everything I had was in Peru: my family, my friends, my studies, but also my comfort zone. Everything was in status quo: following the line. There I was: following the road of my life. Until I get bored, until I wanted to changed, until I said: I need to travel!

The story of convincing my parents I'm not going to explain as is quite long. The point here is the decision I took. Everything changed in one semester. Is incredible how much! Well, if someone would like to contrast here I can give few examples: there was no traffic jams, no robbers; however, the parties get started too late almost 2am, the plus is you can take the U-Bahn to go home :D Additionally, if you travel with your friends around Bavaria the price of your ticket will get lower (travel tip #01).

Coming back to my foster city, Munich have plenty of places more than what a common tourist could expect: museums, castles, Biergärdens, Oktoberfest, football games and many more! I decided to know every single place I could all my saturdays. Why travelling only on saturdays? 'Cause I studied from monday to friday, as simple as that. Of course, is your own choice depending on the courses you're taken at your partner university ;) I travelled to: Füssen, Rothenburg ob der Tauber, Lindau, Chiemsee, Regensburg and Nürnberg, all those small towns taken from fairytales! The amazing thing was those cities were located in Bavaria! 

I would like to tell everything in just one post, but are much more stuff I should tell! So, just going to summarize :)

At the beggining, I thought I was going to feel different while I was there. In common terms, yes I look so latina; however, what I liked the most was the multicultural atmosphere I breathe: not feeling worried where I come from, all the opposite, felt proud of representing my land :) I was unique!

Then, all comes by! Meeting new friends, go with them to parties and travelling with others, going to the Allianz Arena to watch a game where a football player from your country was pure adrenaline! Taking pictures was more than smiling, taking pictures was about capturing the moment!

Right now, all I have are my memories, but if they give me again the chance to choose where to go, I will say the same destination: Munich. I won't change anything, if so, then, I wouldn't get the chance to met such great people and to become part of my friends. That's my answer, that's my story.

 

 

 

 

Tags: exchange semester, germany, munich, oktoberfest

 

About fiona_la


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Peru

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.