Existing Member?

Living with an Englishman

Understanding a Culture through Food - the man called Joe!

UNITED KINGDOM | Friday, 19 April 2013 | Views [159] | Scholarship Entry

'" The boys in the street just greeted me .hello joe! and i hate it".This didn't mean a thing to me until I've finally learned the ways and a bit of culture of an educated British guy. Will you always use a knife and a fork ? and he laughed so loud.This is far I can remember when he first came to Manila during our first meal.I don't have knives and the luxury of what a typical English meal should be served.Then came the introduction of varied tea and biscuits that were bought in the nearby supermarket.How interesting to know that he uses different tea for each time of the day ,breakfast tea which is Darjeeling and the afternoon tea which is Earl Grey. Then came more of new food that came my way and I began to love them as well. Meals to be a set times, not just snacking on the run as we Filipinos do. I got introduced into afternoon tea, formal with cut sandwiches and small cakes. Tea served out of a pot not just in a mug! A social event - orderly and elegant even in my small house! I learnt that all food need not be smothered in Chili sauce or eaten with rice - That a bacon (smoked) and egg sandwich is wonderful. Curries, though I know originated in India have been "hijacked"by the British and made their own. I tasted wonderful flavours like the subtlety of Rosemary and Basil and Thyme. Fish Pie made with a cheddar mash potato topping. My favourite cheese (not as most here would guess Kraft's Cheddar but a really good Vintage Cheddar - so tangy) with onion chutney and crusty bread a true British Ploughman's lunch. Through the taste of all this food I and my family were introduced to I began to understand the British culture- ordered traditional and calm. Not the HEY JOE of the brash Americans we aim to emulate blindly in this country but the "Hello" of the English sophistication and great manners, always saying Please and Thank you even at home! There is an English saying that "Manners maketh the man". I believe that through their food and their quiet elegant order the English culture shows as a more temperate and smarter world. Manners really does make for a better world and I have been fortunate to have been exposed to it through the food and cooking. Now am off for an afternoon tea (Earl Grey of course) and half an hour of peace and solitude in my hectic work day. If you get the chance to organise a trip with an Englishman I urge you to take it - the food and culture will astound you. I leave you with a "Thank you for allowing me to entertain you".

Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2013

About filipina-persona


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.