Existing Member?

A sight from antiquity

mother Gouraya's mountain

ALGERIA | Wednesday, 27 May 2015 | Views [419] | Scholarship Entry

If you just focus on its peak and try to unravel the mystery behind its random, rocky pattern, you will be amazed by the figure of a giant, laying lady sculpted by ancient, skilled force making it the guardian of the city. It is called Yemma Gouraya’s mountain (located in Bejaia, Algeria) means Mother Gouraya which is believed to be the spirit who dwells the mountain. We drove until we had to park the car and continue on foot. On the pathway to the peak we found a group of old women wearing strange costumes carrying empty silver bowls and fury sacks, their faces were so white that you could see the veins below their wide, green eyes. You will be tired, sweat will glide along your body however it is worth it after all. When we reached the peak of the Gouraya’s Mountain, we stepped in these ancient, roofless ruins of a roman guard tower made of yellowish stones. I stood on the edge of huge, red rocks staring at the wide, calm sea stretching all the way to the horizon. My imagination went far back in time trying to bring the place alive. “How many human beings stood on this very spot” I asked myself. I felt their existence in some way and I felt as if I was a part of history solely by sharing this spot with those ancient souls.
The city became a flat, motionless painting from this height, the air was thick and the place was quiet spiritual. We sat there for hours gazing at the misty horizon, enjoying the mildly breeze until it was sundown. Such a wonder to behold, the last beams from the sun raced across the sky illuminating the ending of that day, a day which will never reborn again. We decided to spend the night there and it was not long until the stars started to descend to our sky, reciting tales of archaic times. Because darkness was absolute, the stars glowed so bright revealing something I have never seen with my own eyes before and that was the sight from antiquity: The Milky Way. It did not resemble to what we know from National Geographic documentaries, however for brief and glorious moment its beauty was clear enough to allure me until I could only feel my eyes burning urging me to blink. A colossal fissure made of stars cut the sky in half reflecting a scene from billion years ago. Truly I became speechless, even now as I am writing these lines words fail me again and again to properly describe that view to you. Dear reader, only your heart, mind and senses can replicate what this place offered me.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About fightingtheodds


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Algeria

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.