Existing Member?

Kruger National Park a paradise

My Travel Writing Scholarship 2011 entry - My Big Adventure

SOUTH AFRICA | Wednesday, 23 March 2011 | Views [428] | Scholarship Entry

It was my first time to come close to South Africa’s Big Five. The animals I came across this day appears to be both fierce and vulnerable. This was an adventure that made me come closer to nature and presented me with the predatory powers of the country's "Big Five" indigenous species, the elephant, the Cape buffalo, the rhino, the leopard and the lion.

This adventure was to the world renowned Kruger National Park. The big cats that I saw are the park’s regal, emotive scene-stealers, and I kept my focus on one male cat's scars from rough play and territory scraps, as well as the watchfulness of a lioness's glassy amber eyes.


The pans in this park are ancient lake beds, which today form a sea of yellow grass that stretches to the horizon, studded with islands of acacia and baobab trees.
Kruger National Park is described as a natural theme park and the adventure capital of the world. Proclaimed by South African president Paul Kruger in 1898, this jewel in the South African National Parks crown stretches 381km from the banks of the Crocodile River in the south to the Limpopo River in the north, and covers almost 2.5 million hectares.
One thing that fascinated me most id the area’s diversity from spectacular wilderness to civilized viticulture, from the complexities of tribal life to the ease of luxury rail travel, from exotic safaris to brassy casinos is the key to its allure. The primary tourist attractions in this area continue to be game parks and an abundance of spectacular scenery, which draw at least one-third of all vacationing visitors.
A visit to the other side of the park in Limpopo was an encounter with a traditional style of life totally different from our own. Any man with enough money and cattle can have more than one wife. Tribal affiliation is strong. Most people practice the fetish religion. Almost everyone carries something on the head with an astonishingly nonchalant poise, whether it is a cup of water or a huge load of firewood.


Tags: #2011writing, travel writing scholarship 2011

About fidel2010


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about South Africa

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.