Existing Member?

Fernweh Quaintrelle Adventures

Nomad Living

WORLDWIDE | Thursday, 15 May 2014 | Views [276] | Scholarship Entry

A month ago I was living in the countryside in Hungary and now I am back in Toronto. I feel as I'll be leaving any minute though. I have embraced a new lifestyle – a nomadic lifestyle. How did I end up here? Even having come back to Canada I find myself restlessly changing cities, never knowing where I will find myself in a moments time. Every sensible bone in my body trying to settle. Every raw instinct inside me wanting to revolt and run anywhere to spend the rest of my life exploring. I am brim with wanderlust. How did I end up embracing this way of living? How did I end up wandering around Europe for 15 months?

I had hastily made the decision to move to Europe and found myself couchsurfing around Dublin. I was anxious from being so far outside my comfort zone, but I learned to love it. There was a sense of community that I had never experienced before. It was that sense of community that I took with me when I moved into my place in the city. Even after getting tied down with a place and a job, I was still fleeing somewhere new every chance I had. I was seeing new places and experiencing new things with strangers whom I felt knew for years. I was bartending in Temple Bar and loving feeling at home almost everywhere I went. This is when my friend invited me to live with her in the countryside in Hungary. How could I refuse? I left to Szada, Hungary where no one knows English. I got a chance to experience Hungary in a way that most travellers don't get. One day I decided to go into the city and check into a party hostel. This is when I really fell in love with where I was and what I was doing. I decided I couldn't leave. I cancelled my flight home and stayed a little longer. Fast forward two months to me on my way back home. Returning a notably changed person from the one that flew out from Canada fifteen months prior.

I have learned that it is a small world. I have learned that the world is a big place and there is an uncountable amount of beautiful things to be seen. So how did I end up here? I followed a string of intuitions. Wanderlust guided me from country to country and never let me settle for too long. I opened every door of opportunity. We only have one life and it is our own to do whatever we please with. I may have exhausted all of my money and came out of this homeless, but I will never regret the journey my decisions have taken me on. Life is a journey with many paths to go down; Let go of inhibitions and explore.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About fernwehquintrelle


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.