Existing Member?

Fernando's Journal

My Scholarship entry - Seeing the world through other eyes

WORLDWIDE | Monday, 9 April 2012 | Views [182] | Scholarship Entry

I can definetly say that the way I perceive things in the world changed two years ago, when I was just about to begin my senior year in a private high school at Toluca, a small town located a few miles west of Mexico City. Some of my friends were starting to wonder which degree they would take in the future. While some wanted to move to the capital, others preferred to study in a foreign university. I just knew I was hoping to help transform my country into a better place to live by using art as an ally.
In my opinion, Mexico tends to admire foreign cultures more than its own; everybody is so used to complain about our government, economy and history, but just a few attempt to change their realities.
During those weeks I had the opportunity of being in four different cities spread on three continents: Mexico City, Amsterdam, Istanbul, and Vancouver. I could hardly believe I was actually covering all those distances in such a short time. I saw people from all over the world, heard a great number of languages, and even listened to music genres I did not know existed.
Each destination has a personal meaning to me: I saw the detailed technique of Vermeer's paintings, listened to the muezzins' call to prayers at Sultanahmet, admired the sunset at English Bay, but in the end all this diversity helped me to understand that Mexico is a territory that has valuable masterpieces, ancestral buildings and breathtaking landscapes as well.
After experiencing all these new sensations I began to travel more often around my city and country. I discovered a lot of museums, villages, churches and ruins that are almost unknown, concluding that it is not necessary to spend a fortune to encounter amazing places and become a more sensitive and happy individual as a result.
By accepting the challenge of showing others the vast patrimony my country has, I eventually made my choice. I am currently studying Art History at Universidad Iberoamericana.

Tags: travel writing scholarship 2012

About fernandopichardo


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.