Existing Member?

What makes Malta "Malta"

The spirit of Malta

MALTA | Wednesday, 14 May 2014 | Views [112] | Scholarship Entry

I’ll never forget that day that I first set foot on Malta: I still didn’t know it, but I was about to fall in love with this beautiful land.
It was a boiling and dump end of July day, and from the airport car parks I could see rows of palm trees waving their branches in rhythm with the warm wind.
After a crazy taxi ride with my daredevil driver, I somehow managed to arrive to my hotel in Msida all in one piece, and I decided to reward myself with an ice cream and a stroll around to get acquainted with the place.
I remember that the first glimpse of the country got me pretty confused: in my mind, I couldn’t decide what city it reminded me most of. Did it look like London, with those red telephone boxes, those people blabbing English words and driving on the left lane? Or was it most similar to Cagliari, for the houses - the majority of which were pink, ochre or white - and the myriads of religious landmarks? Furthermore, the colours of the Luzzus (the Maltese typical boats) made me think of Tunis and its Souks. This intriguing mix is one of the reasons why I find this little island so fascinating.
As I stayed there for 2 weeks, I had the chance to visit all the main cities in the country: apart from Valletta, with its amazing view on the sea, its stairways and its gardens framed by spectacular beige arches, I really enjoyed spending time in Rabat, whose ancient streets and colourful balconies are really worth a visit, and Mosta and its Rotunda church, one of the largest domes in Europe.
Before getting there, I hadn’t realized that Malta was so small. Eventually, I found out that in less than an hour by car you can go through the whole Island, and with a bus from the capital you can basically get everywhere in the same amount of time. Gozo and Comino islands can be reached by ferry, and they are spectacular, not only for the colour of the sea and the stunning beaches, but also for the legends and history tied to them.
When I travel, I can’t help but gorge myself with local food, and that’s exactly what I did in Malta: I tried the Pastizzis, which by the way are super cheap, the Fenek (rabbit), Lampuki fish, and I also felt like a sommelier, tasting the local wine at the Delicata Festival in Valletta.
I think that even if it’s small, this island has much to offer: let’s not only think about its beaches, but also about how many different cultures have met here in the course of history, the fantastic food and the friendly locals. Recommended!

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About fedemelis


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Malta

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.