Existing Member?

Discover the world

My Scholarship entry - Seeing the world through other eyes

WORLDWIDE | Sunday, 22 April 2012 | Views [109] | Scholarship Entry

Have you heard about Bromo? It is a name of an active volcano locates in East Java, Indonesia. The last time i went there like years ago, but i can still remember the moment of speechless that i had when i finally reached the top of the mountain with a beautiful scenery right in front of my eyes. I felt a chill that instantly disappeared was replaced with the sun rising slowly.

Besides watching the beauty of the panorama offered by the Bromo, luckily i came at the right time, then i could watch Kesodo ceremony, organized by the Tengger. It is the name of the tribe who live in near Bromo. They were known as the original tribe of Majapahit era.

Moreover, the Tengger tribe has tremendous appeal because they are holding fast to the traditions and culture that guide his life. They are highly respected by people around because they are holding fast to their culture by living honestly and never feel envy.The ceremony is usually started at midnight to early morning every full moon around 14 or 15 in Kesodo according to the Javanese calendar. Residents will throw offerings of fruit and food into the crater of Bromo.

As i asked to them, they said that Bromo is known as a holy place. We have to keep this ritual as a fulfillment request Kesuma Raden, the youngest son, also interpreted as an expression of gratitude for the earth, for whatever people have enjoyed. They offer prayers to keep this earth blessed, as well as health and protection from all dangers.

Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2012

About fearless


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.