Existing Member?

globalwanderings

A day trip out of Accra, Ghana

GHANA | Monday, 13 April 2009 | Views [573]

A Day Trip

If u head down the coast from Accra (about 3 hours drive) u find the Kakum National Park where there is a tree-top walk through the rainforest. You can also do a nature walk with a guide, but I didn’t do that. Unfortunately, I was with a group of rowdy teenagers so didn't see any birdz becoz of the racket! There are nice tree top viewz tho' and its worth the trip.

We then went on to a nearby crocodile farm where we had lunch and snapped a few shots of the crocs. Apparently there are about 30 crocs there, but we only saw a few. If you pay the guide a bit of money they attract the crocs on shore with a piece of meat and you can take a few snaps!

The most touching part of the day was the Cape Coast Fort museum. You can go in and look around a museum display as well as take a tour into the terrible dungeons where they used to keep the slaves before shipping them off to the UK, West Indies and America. It’s awful to think about wot people do to each other and how the slaves must've suffered.

When I returned to Monrovia I read a biography of Wilberforce and the battle to end slavery in England. Also saw the movie ‘Amazing Grace’ which is a bit sentimental but both convey both the horrors of the slave trade and how determined businessmen and politicians were to sustain the trade.

So all up, its a good day trip out of Accra - if u leave at 7am u can be back by 7pm. Each here hotel has drivers to take u about, but they're not cheap [they would’ve charged me about USD250!] or else u need to find a driver that u can trust who has his own car [USD150 by the time I paid for fuel}. A friend in Monrovia gave me a recommendation, so it worked out just fine for me. 

Tags: accra, ghana, sanity break

About fayzie


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Ghana

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.