Existing Member?

My Big Adventure

My Travel Writing Scholarship 2011 entry - My Big Adventure

WORLDWIDE | Sunday, 27 March 2011 | Views [324] | Comments [2] | Scholarship Entry

I sat petrified on my crooked seat, as PANCHI, the antediluvian, odd colored, animal smelled, rumbling and close cabined bus took me hostage for a journey that seem never ending .My surrounding was filled with species of all types , a lady seated with a dozen chicken , A kid with a sheep , And I heard a goat too. Almost everybody seem to have a domestic breed as luggage .My estimated destination , dera nawab had to appear in about one and a half hour , But thanks to Einstein , TIME IS CURVED . I learned it that day; it not only slowed but intensified the alien experience.
I was relived to leave the hot seat for the switch of conveyance. A local with a sareiki accent welcomed me for the trip to fort derawer. Diminishing yet powerful existence just on the edge of cholistan desert. Before my travelling map could have revealed the vicinity to the fort, my eyes witnessed the huge bastions of derawar way from many miles. I yearned an early reach but misfortune struck, when the groggy truck got punctured .I was left to my own again, Many miles of extended desert, But I hitchhiked. Even knowing about the rough track, piercing heat and snake threats, I followed the mirage of derawer.
I was escorted by a drover and his herd of camels, Stressed and tired I was lucky to get help, and it took another one hour of humpy bumpy ride, to reach the huge walls supported by enormous round buttresses .The massive fort towers over the surrounding desert took my eye .Feeling of protection engulfed me .A place ruled by so many .I felt it was not a mere building but a combination of cultures and generations. I felt mesmerized to see, feel and communicate the silent words. I touched the big walls and marked my presence .Created by RAI JAJJA bhatti of jaselmeer .Then attacked, occupied and slipped through so many, until today when it stand alone and apart .
The entrance stood huge like a guardian tower, challenging intruders, moving forth rusted vintage guns took me back in time, I wondered how It had roasted its enemies .salient features of the fort were evident from the prominent yet dilapidated structures .The Abbasid mosque with the exquisite domes and cupolas send spiritual message of connectivity, Faith eying on us through the lofty minarets.
My thoughts were visualizing the royal history built in the beautifully stone decorated harem .though the connecting corridors were thread bare, but were reflective of the grandness they lived through through.
As the sun descended, it grew cold, Air filled with spiritual melodies as the drover sang the KAFI of SHAH HUSSAIN, A famous Sufi poet. Enchanting tunes created an exquisite environment. Moving back home I was caught in the memories of the fort, which was though perishing, , yet fascinating to the worthy eyes.






Tags: #2011Writing, Travel Writing Scholarship 2011

Comments

1

what a lovely way to narrate the thingz, it looks the author has very deep understanding and observation into minute details of common day lyk. awesum writthing, love it ...

  Tanzeel Jun 10, 2011 8:13 PM

2

simply awesome... i felt as though i myself was there eyeing the mysteries through the writer's meticulously observant eyes.....

  sidra masood Jul 1, 2011 5:47 PM

About farwa-adventure_big407


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.