Existing Member?

Kindness

An act of kindness

EGYPT | Saturday, 10 May 2014 | Views [160] | Scholarship Entry

It was just one day. One day that made my whole trip memorable. One day that has changed me forever as a person. I was in Aswan in Egypt with my family. The sun was still shining. We lost our way and we couldn't go back to our hotel. I was just 12 years old and I was afraid. My mother kept trying to make me feel safe and secure. She kept reassuring me that we would eventually find someone for help. But there was no one around. Just rocks. After walking for an hour we found some houses in front of us so we walked until we reached them. My mother started asking some people to help find our way back. I could guess from the way she talked that she was afraid too because they were strangers and it was just the two of us. They invited us in to their house. Judging by the furniture and the way they were dressed, they were poor. We waited for them to show us the way. After half an hour a man turned up and invited us to eat lunch with them. At first my mother refused but he told her that they cooked for us. We went to the living room and there we found a table full of meals just for the two of us. They refused to even sit with us as we were eating. All they did was serve us, asking us if we needed something every 5 minutes, bringing us water and more food. After we finished their whole family was gathered and they started dancing and singing. We had so much fun. At the end of the day they didn't just show us the way, they sent someone with us to guide us until we reached our hotel. It was one of the best days of my life. I will neither be able to forget it nor forget those people who showed me the meaning of hospitality, kindness and humbleness.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About faridahhelmy


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Egypt

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.