Existing Member?

Getaway Girl Go Travelling

The Rangers of The Dragons

INDONESIA | Thursday, 15 May 2014 | Views [324] | Scholarship Entry

The Ranger of The Dragons


"Are you in your period, girl?"asked the local who wore green uniform. Confusedly I answered his question ,"No, I am not Sir."
He was the ranger who guided us to see the Indonesian dragons called komodo. One of tour rules stated that , if women were menstruating, they were not allowed to join the tour because blood attracted komodo.
"Komodo attacked the group which bring a woman when she was in her period last time and the rangers got bitten because he tried to protect her and the other visitors," said the ranger.
My adventure began after listening to a briefing from the ranger. As the ranger said to us that it depended on your luck, I was pretty lucky to see a dragon approaching me just five minutes after leaving the gate.
Not wanting to lose the moment, I grabbed my camera and shot many pictures of the komodo. It seemed to ignore my presence, passing me like I was a tree. Then, we continued our tour to see one of komodo that lied under the trees waiting for the rangers to feed them.
I felt more strained when the ranger said that komodo was an unpredictable animal. They could appear suddenly from bushes or holes to chase us. "Don't run if a dragon start to chase you, stay close with one another at all times!" he reminded us while waving his magic stick up and about to scare the dragon.
After wandering for one hour we decided to take a rest for awhile on a savanna. While enjoying the breathtaking view around, the ranger told us about tragedies occurred in Komodo island during his first year as a ranger. It was quite frightening for me to know that many people got attacked by komodo and finally died because of gruesome bite and saliva, which was toxic.
"We will stay in this island with our dragons no matter what, we belong here and I am the Ranger." said him before saying goodbye to us. For me, he was the best adventurer and the great storyteller of the komodo. This island is a country of gigantic komodo and the komodo is a sacred animal of the inhabitants.
Along the trip to Labuan Bajo, the gateway to adventure, I asked the Captain to stop in Kambing island for swimming. The beach was gorgeous but I was a bit scared to swim further. My imagination was seeing the dragons also swimming in ocean and trying to catch me because komodo is a good swimmer as well. However, visiting Komodo island where the only place to see the scarce and the wild of biggest lizard in the world was an amazing trip for me that I will never forget.
.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About fania_hils


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Indonesia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.