Existing Member?

Peace

Peace in Magelang City, Central Java, Indonesia

INDONESIA | Sunday, 4 May 2014 | Views [240] | Scholarship Entry

Magelang City has always been a place of choice when I'm looking for tranquility. In this place I could nostalgic memories with my father who has been dead since I was little. In the past, father always took us to visit relatives once a month. Similarly, now in the current flurry of hectic college, the routine has not changed .
Visiting the town of Magelang always been a unique thing. I'm from the city of Yogyakarta are familiar with a variety of cultures into one. However , in the city of Magelang , Indonesia shows back its multiculturalism with various religions live in peace in a very small town. Magelang city does have a small area compared to other cities in Indonesia. With a motorcycle, I can traverse the city in half an hour .
Talking about religious tolerance, there is something very interesting to me. In Indonesia, religious ideological war often occur despite the country already carrying religious tolerance. However, in the city of Magelang, mosques and churches can be located close together. In addition, there is also a mosque located in the Confucian complex. To me this is very unusual when a lot of hassle in Indonesia because of religious ideology war.
Once, when the celebration of Christmas, my neighbor gave us that a Muslim, Christmas gift hampers. I'm not native population of the city was in shock. In my region, common people declare their religion so impressed split. However, here all such things without walls that block to maintain mutual harmony between people. That's why, when my mind was complicated, destination city is the city of Magelang. Apart from the tranquility , the city is also cool because it was not far from the slopes of Mount Merapi.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About fani94


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Indonesia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.