Existing Member?

People say falling in love is the best emotion one can experience. I say - being on the road is!

You don't get given comfort. You create it.

GREECE | Wednesday, 14 May 2014 | Views [155] | Scholarship Entry

It was the second of the many destinations we had on the list for our journey. We were a group of people, barely knowing each other, gathered around a common cause - to hitchhike and raise money for two causes, while experiencing travel in a completely different way from what we were used to.

The destination was trivial and not-so-special at all. Platamonas - a small tourist village in Greece. However it managed to stand out in a way that lingered in everyone's mind and majority of us still consider it one of the best things that happened during that trip.

What was that thing that made it so special? Strangely enough it was neither the beautiful sea side, nor the lovely weather, not even the delicious Greek food (well, they did contribute a lot!). It was...us.
We stayed at an old campsite that hadn't been used or maintained for years. We had to tidy it up and make it habitable. We collected bits and pieces from the backyard to make the place look and feel as we wanted it. We created our own comfort and made the place ours. Together. Nothing would have made us feel more comfortable with that place. And with each other. Since then, the spirit of the group changed entirely. We were no longer a group of strangers with similar mindsets. We were friends.
When reminiscing about that experience I rarely manage to remember particular details. I will never be able to tell you what food we ate, what we laughed about and what the sky looked like at night. In my memory that place is a feeling. Those 4 days we spent there - they are an emotion. It's one of the places I am afraid to go back to not to spoil the memory about it.

I love to travel as we all do. I love all the things people talk about when the topic of traveling comes up - new cultures, new places, history, nature. But the very reason I travel is to experience things like this. Ones that can hardly be captured in words. Ones that cannot be broken down into elements. Ones that whenever you think of them you just smile and feel the luckiest person in the world to have been there at exactly that point in time.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About fallintravel


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Greece

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.