Existing Member?

The Beach Lover

Blackpool Pleasure Beach

UNITED KINGDOM | Friday, 22 May 2015 | Views [221] | Scholarship Entry

The enthusiasm was infectious. From the children that ran on the shore, to the chorus of barks and tiny paws, and to the giggling couples holding hands by the water. On my left sat a cheery old man leaning back and enjoying his donuts. Some energetic adults were splashing in water; others felt content sprawled on the beach steps.
I was standing at the North Pier of Blackpool beach, taking in the full view of the happy crowd on a beautiful sunny afternoon. Behind me was a busy wide road parallel to a tramway. Across the road, stood the giant empowering Blackpool tower surrounded by local shops and small diners. Along the coast I could see a big Ferris wheel turning like a ticking clock. And if you walked further ahead, you would see the huge rollercoaster zooming in and out, and hear the joyous screams of the riders. There was so much festivity that one could easily get lost in the moment. Life with all its beautiful colors was happening.
A passerby smiled at me as I sat down on the steps. I was unprepared for the sudden burst of happiness. I find it enchanting when strangers at a foreign land smile at me. I sat there for hours, lulled by slow rhythmic waves. Time seemed to stand still. But the skyline indicated otherwise as dark grey clouds took over. The waves were now picking up pace, their rhythm faster. Summer breeze was now a full blown wind. It started to drizzle. Unprepared for the sudden dramatic change, beach lovers dispersed across the road towards the cozy street shops. The beach stood deserted with an aura of gloom to it.
I was about to leave, when I saw the hooded guy sitting on the steps like a lone wolf. He wasn’t there before. Lost in thought, he was gazing intently at the crashing waves. As if by a magnetic pull, I decided to stay. I was confused at the change of scenery and an overwhelming surge of emotions within me. The beach lovers’ party had shifted to the streets behind me yet I felt the need to stay, to comfort the silent unseen tears. As time passed, the wind gradually slowed and the sky regained color. This time it was pink. A sense of relief passed in me. He stood up, finally glancing at me. A mere split second of eye contact before he left, yet I felt an unspoken wave of communication had passed. How whimsical that despite differences in our culture, race, ethnicity and gender; we humans feel the same sorrow, happiness and joy.
I stood up and took a good look at the beach. With the memory enact in my mind, I turned and left

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About faha


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.