Existing Member?

a space of me and my traveling

My Scholarship entry - A local encounter that changed my life

WORLDWIDE | Thursday, 12 April 2012 | Views [183] | Scholarship Entry

I've been from my internship at the West Bali National Park for one month in Bali Island. Everything that I do there was like a magical experience. I feel like Alice entering The Wonderland, meeting new people with different cultural background. Although we're from the same country, Indonesia, I still amazed with everything that I've seen there.
Every morning and afternoon people are praying in the temple calls Pura behind their house. They put offerings calls Sajen made from banana or palm leaf as the plate and filled with frangipani and rose petals, rice, etc in places at their house where they believe always give them "life" and constitute vital elements of their existence such as well, kitchen, tavern and other rooms. For home design and interiors, the people in Bali have their own tradition standard. For example, the kitchen and the bathroom should be separate from the main part of house building, the temple (Pura) at their house should be built at the higher place, etc. I also found something unique: Balinese Calendar! That calendar has a simple design but lots of contents. That calendar informs so many things about daily life, rituals, prays and ceremony in Bali including abstinence based on season, moon cycle and Sanskritic complicated-believes.
In West Bali National Park, I met very nice Balinese and Javanese people (because Bali Island was near with Java Island). They teach me everything that I want to know about Plants and animals in that National Park (Bali's starlings, monkeys, deers and other beautiful birds), tourism activities (Snorkeling and diving at the Menjangan Island with beautiful corals, fishes and white sands) and Bali cultures and ceremonies such as Ogoh-Ogoh rite before Nyepi (Balinese worship, where people shouldn't eat, drink, party, turn on the electricity and fire).
Until now I still amazed with the people and culture. I always love to smell the incense for relaxation and that reminds me of smiles from every Balinese lips.

Tags: travel writing scholarship 2012

 

About fadilasky


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.