Existing Member?

Extraordinary Experiences

Video: Raw & Real in Chandni Chowk

INDIA | Thursday, 24 October 2013 | Views [2839]

Spending a day in New Delhi's oldest marketplace feels more like a lifetime. Worn, weathered, and enriched with hundreds of years of active trade and commerce, it's like stepping onto a movie set, where everything seems almost too fantastical to be real. Need a goat? About time for that haircut and shave? Fresh new whites for the colorful madness of Holi? How about "new" tires for your rickshaw? You'll find it here.

Glancing up, I saw a thousand serpent-like cables and wires dangling from every edifice, like empty clotheslines connecting itself to a thousand others like it. It's a "sharing society" when your neighbor merely "borrows" it from you by rigging his to yours.

Passing innumerable options of street food carts and side walk eateries, I couldn't resist the urge to stop in for a quick taste of what the locals were cooking up. Now, a note to the reader: I had lived an intensely squeamish month while backpacking the jungles of Thailand a few years back, and it took me a while to recover. So picking up a chapati off the food carts of India, took a lot of, well, guts. And I am SO glad I did.

Out of all the wonderfully orchestrated chaos that is Chandni Chowk, my favorite souvenir was intangible: it was to lose myself in its ancient and intricate alleyways, my senses tantalized by a million and one exotic spices and aromas, as clouds of people and incense breezed by me. It was Life. Unfolding daily. Welcome to Chandni Chowk.

- Andre Bolourchi

Related articles:

Inside India: Celebrating Holi & Avoiding Delhi Belly

A Taste of India - Southern Indian Specialties

On Thin Ice: How I Saved My Sherpa

About WorldNomads.com

WorldNomads.com keeps you travelling safely.  Whether you’re off for a long weekend, looking for the ultimate adventure or living the nomadic dream, you’ll stay safe with Travel Insurance you can buy online, anytime, and the latest travel safety advice. Learn how to flirt in over 25 languages with our free language guides and have an experience of a lifetime on a travel scholarship. We'll also help you share your journey with a free travel blog, get answers from other nomads to all of your travel questions (try the new 'Ask A Nomad' iPad app) and donate to a local community development project through our Footprints program.  

WorldNomads.com - an essential part of every adventurous traveller's journey.

Tags: asia, chandi chowk, culture, delhi, food, getting lost, india, just go, markets, travel

About extraordinaryexperiences


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.