Existing Member?

Experience Life

A Sterile Paradise

FRENCH POLYNESIA | Wednesday, 14 May 2014 | Views [139] | Scholarship Entry

Although it appears cyan from afar, the water is perfectly clear - so much so that every grain of dusty-white sand can be seen beneath my feet. The sun is bright and the water is warm; the air is crisp and feels delicious in my chest. I can't even remember the last time I've experienced something like this. A smile plays across the freckled face of my English South African boyfriend beside me and in my bliss I realize I never expected this out of my life.

I've been on the cruise ship for four months; working in the overly decadent duty-free shops and living in the windowless bowels that seem more like a hospital than a regal sea experience. I've been sharing a room the size of a closet, eating buffet-style meals that are obviously filled with chemicals to keep them "fresh", and working 7-days a week for at least 8 hours a day. I often go through the white-washed crew corridors in full uniform-suit to deck 0 to bring restock items to deck 5 via trolley, listening to the booming of the mechanics of the ship under my feet and struggling to keep everything balanced, only to return to work in time to be accosted by passengers who feel they should receive everything for free. My body aches, I'm exhausted, and I'm beginning to feel my sanity slip.

Luckily, I have my fellow crew. Being one of twenty-four American crewmembers on a ship of 900, I find solace in learning from my international cruise-compatriots. In my little free time, I cavort in the crew bar with the South African photographers, get late-night hotdogs with the Brazilian liquor specialist, watch the Czech drummer perform, go to secret holiday parties with the Chinese laundry master, and take afternoon tea with the British black-jack dealer. If I'm ever overstressed, I can always rely on my "Babes" to spend port times and evenings with me.

The ship has sailed through Alaska (I've sold many jackets on the open deck 11 with trembling hands while witnessing the iridescent beauty of nearby glaciers), spent time in Hawaii (where the crew was treated to a Hawaiiana filled party in the passenger disco), and we've just arrived in Bora-Bora (on the way to Australia). I've only been off the ship for three hours, but it feels like it's been days.

Once again, I look at the shining face of my beau and the palm-tree covered white coastline that stretches before me. In this moment I wonder how I'll be able to survive the rest of my contract, simultaneously feeling like the luckiest woman alive.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About experiencelife


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about French Polynesia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.