Existing Member?

The Young, Reckless, and Ambitious

Do I need an AARP card to be here?

USA | Wednesday, 1 June 2011 | Views [347]

Dear Travelers alike,

 

     This shall be my first journal post, and my not so climatic, but never the less a trip to Vero Beach Florida. Being from Arizona I am first of all not inept to all the humidity that Florida seems to bestow upon me. Being nineteen, so young, and careless the intense, heavy Florida weather makes me skin boil with acne, and my hair to grow increasingly large and curly, basically into a “Jew Fro.” But because of my dedication to my lovely Grandmother “Oma” whom I only get to see every two years I will fight through the miniscule throw-backs.

 Vero Beach is located in Indian River County on the Florida’s coast. Having a beach, nice greens, and summer sky’s would lead people to believe this is a thriving metropolis of entertainment and modernization. My assumptions were as good as yours, as I was brought into a docile, low-speed community for three and a half weeks. I look around at all the houses, and stores and I think “The only things older then the houses are the people living in them.” It raises the question “Do I need an AARP card to be a suitable citizen here?” Located in the middle of town is the Vero Beach High School, where indeed my father graduated from, it is renowned for having a massive student body, and excelling at sports. Looking at this desolate wasteland and walkers and empty prescription bottles, that fact could have fooled me. It seems where-ever I turn my head I am haunted by the stereotypical elder people who creepy along the sidewalks at a less than moderate pace, bitterly contemplating their next medical appointment. It seems that the people who built this town never left, and try and recreate the golden days by never letting the city advance into anything modern, and contemporary. They still have family owned stores, and restaurants, a far cry from the much commercialized, and capitalized city of Orlando which is two hours away.

The beaches are not that special as well, them seem to thrive on mediocrity. They are empty on the week days, but it provides a feeling of solitude and depression, not a warm summer beach vibe. I half hope for a scene from “Jaws” to take place in front of me, so at least something exciting would transpire. This town doesn’t bode well from anyone under the age of sixty five, as I sit constantly in the house, lingering from television show to television show. No wonder I don’t see anyone around my age, they like me have confined themselves to their houses, drudging through their existence in the uneventful retirement home called Vero Beach, or they are practically committing suicide. Other than that I have to say if you are looking for a place to retire this is a pleasant, quiet, and docile town, but if you do not have an AARP card steer clear of this dust trap.

Tags: florida, jaws, quiet, vero beach

 

About everlongexcursions


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.