Existing Member?

Girl Nomad Come with me and you'll be in a world of pure imagination...

Alive & Well...

NEPAL | Wednesday, 13 June 2007 | Views [881] | Comments [12]

I don’t have any good excuse for my failing to maintain regular blog updates!! I’ve just been busy & then lazy by the time I get home. Also, you know when you leave something so long that it turns into this big deal & a bit of a monkey on your back…so tonight I shoo the monkey off!

Also I guess I have settled into live in Kathmandu now & what seemed like a life less ordinary in the beginning has now become the norm…

So typically my day begins at 6.30am. I wake up (of late with mozzie bites from top to toe!) and ease into the day with a few tunes from my ipod…Shirley tends to feature quite prominently in these little sessions – ah ‘Big Spender’…always puts me in a good mood!

I then make my way to the kitchen to fix myself an omelette or eggs of some variety, making sure to stop via the bathroom to switch the hot water on – very important!

At around 9.30am I make my way down the four flights of stairs and out the gate, where my day really begins. I come out onto the road near the ‘Shree Bijesowri Secondary School’, to manoeuvre past the noisy school kids. If I’m not expected to respond to any exclamations of ‘Namaste’ from the children, I continue on down the road between the chiya pasals and Buddhist prayer beads shops heading towards the steps of the temple.

Before the decline, I might be lucky enough to receive a confession of love from the little 10 year old boy who has taken a shine to me. I’d ordinarily respond with ‘I love you too’ before proceeding down the steps leading to the main road into town…I think his feelings for me have grown over time, as of late he has been saying ‘I love you so much’, as opposed to just simply ‘I love you’. Ah cute!

Once below, I then cross the Bungmati River, taking special note to suck in as much air as possible before crossing & trying hard to hold my breath until I’m on the other side in safe distance from the stench of the sewage & garbage which has been left to flow into the waterway.

I then continue on up the road, passing the children having their morning karate session and people preparing their morning vegetable stalls with produce yet unwiltered from the muggy heat. I pass the gentle old man selling his bamboo wares, whom I bought my 150 rupee bargain laundry basket from. He’s usually falling asleep on his belly, but on the odd occasion he’s not we exchange a familiar wave.

Eventually I make it to Chetrapati Chowk, an intersection of six separate roads all melting into a mess of rickshaws, taxis, bicycles, pedestrians & car horns. If I am not held up in a traffic jam (yes, even though I’m on foot!) I reach the entrance to Thamel to make the final leg of my journey.

Each time I pass this point I am reminded of a game I played one day on the way into town with Jenny…when we reached this point she said lets see how long it takes before we’re asked if we want 1. A rickshaw, 2. Tiger balm and 3. A pashmina. No sooner had she finished her sentence did a rickshaw sail by us with the driver asking if we wanted a ride, we were then met by a man coming the opposite way, selling his Tiger balm, enquiring as to our need for it & then we were abruptly ‘finished off’ by a pashmina selling shop owner! Too funny! We were both in hysterics by that stage!

Once in at the office, unless heading out to one of the homes, I tend not to leave it until about 6.00pm, when it’s time to repeat the reverse journey home.

Any additional field trips have been a welcome relief, such as the night Cin, her man Jeff, Sujan (12 y.o boy who lives in the apartment below us) & I headed up to Swayambu to engage in the ‘Kora’ around the base. It was a beautiful balmy evening with hundreds of Tibetans out improving their karma by completing the suggested 13 laps of the temple which takes about 30 minutes each.

Sujan & I partnered up and found ourselves giggling at each other when we nearly stood on one of the monks who had dropped to the ground directly in our path to complete his prostration (apparently you can elect to ‘prostrate’ your way around the base once instead of walking it 13 times). Oops, that would be definite bad karma if I had stood on the monk! Yeeks!

So we completed one lap & elected to head home as it was way past our bed time (10.30pm!). The rest of the people we left there doing the kora until 7am, including Kali (our new Health Coordinator), so we found out the next day. She eventually confessed it wasn’t so much her desire to improve her karma, but rather to kill time as she had been locked out of her hotel!

The 5th of June, being World Environment Day was also a notable occasion. We organised a tree planting activity out in Bistachhap which all VSN staff, current & new Volunteers, the BFCH children and many people from the local community got involved. We planted 140 trees around the perimeter of the soccer field after a rather official ceremony where my baa (council elder) and Emma (director of VSN) planted a tree each together, once Devendra had delivered a speech.

I then spent the next 30 minutes planting trees on a 60 degree slope! The first five minutes of which had me holding onto Little Bishnu (an 8 y.o girl from BFCH) who was threatening to tumble down the slope on top of the recently planted trees below – not a good look!

So now with Kali coming on board as the Health Coordinator, I’m happy to be taking my first official break since arriving, as up until two weeks ago I was the temporary Health Coordinator as well as the Vollie Coordinator. I’m really excited & looking forward to having Jacs & Brett (two friends from home) arrive this Friday before heading overland via jeep to Tibet for 8 days…with any luck, the anti-altitude Homeopathic I have will work its magic as we make our way across the highest plateau of the world. Yeehaa!

I will report back on the trip in my next blog update…reluctant to promise when that will be!!

Much love to all, Eve xxxx

Tags: Laughter

Comments

1

Hi Eve

Great to hear from you and glad you're still alive. It sounds like you're having a great time. Katie and I are back home, I'm back at work (yawn) and Katie's got interviews coming out of her ears so it's all good. I miss Australia quite a lot now, it's so true that you don't know what you have until it's gone. But hey life moves on and you have to make the most of it.

Keep in touch

Andrew x

  Andrew Heywood Jun 13, 2007 5:56 AM

2

Hiiiiiiiii Ebie! Thanks for the update. Sounds as if we've lost you forever to a life of exciting travel!
Jacqu has been in touch and i'm sending that stuff over with her along with a little surprise for you. BTW Will FINALLY came over about 4 days before he was due to leave and collected his gift. Funny bloke (but don't tell him I said that!). Oh, and if he tells you any stories such as i wasn't hospitable, it's all lies! the lazy bugger took a while to get his bum round to pick up the gift, despite all my offerings to drop it off to him (he said you'd be mad if he 'cheated' - you are cruel for making him travel from whoop-whoop to iner city central).
Wish me luck with exams! They start next week - i've got three of them this semmester!
Love you beautiful & miss you heaps! xxxxxxxxxxx

  Becks Jun 13, 2007 8:44 AM

3

Hey hun!!

I am reading your blog completely breathless, you know that feeling when you read someone else stories and imagine being there with them! Ahhh....wish I was there! Business will be sold within 4 weeks, so keep checking in, I may be over there sooner rather than later! Miss you babe. Bree
xxxx

  Bree Jun 13, 2007 12:03 PM

4

go evie go
go evie go
gooooooo evie
just imagine that was maxxy and i doing our own version of the nicoret adverts, to wish you well on your trek to the himalayas!
yay!
:)
XXXX

  jules Jun 13, 2007 4:19 PM

5


Hey Eve,

Good to hear from you,It seems

you're having a great time.

I hope the weather is nice and sunny in Nepal.

Its freezing in Melbourne,I wish i was
In India now..its 40 degree's there.

take care EVE and keep updating

  chandra Yada Jun 13, 2007 4:44 PM

6

Hi Eve,

Love hearing from you.
I'm heading to the UK for a year... wow
You are in my thoughts.

Kev

  Kevin McRae Jun 13, 2007 8:06 PM

7

Hi Hun!
Good to hear from you again, I always love reading your blogs! Just wondering though what you do in the mornings between getting up at 6:30 and leaving the house at 9:30...that's a lot of 'getting ready' time! ;o)
...and what happened to the budding romance with the ‘Good Doctor'?? ...are the two connected in some way?!?! lol
It sounds like you are having an awesome time - you're so lucky to be going to Tibet! Enjoy!
Hey, what's your address again? I'll send those pics over!
Things are still good in London town - going to Madrid to see 'Guernica' (Picasso painting) this weekend - can't wait!
Well take care hun and keep in touch!
S xox
p.s. Bear say "hi ...you f%*#ing jerk!" ;o)

  Simone Jun 14, 2007 12:56 AM

8

Hiya Eve

Sounds like you're having a great time, it's great to hear about it.

Matt's moving over here to be with his english girlfriend. I've met her and she's beautiful, has a masters in law and a superb personality; as matt says "she ticks all the boxes". Those 2 finding each other is as good as a chick flick in my opinion, so i'm wrapt for them.

I'm working with errm, well, i call them tards, i wont go on about it too much because i'm at work but stay tuned for my 12 part comdey series ;)

take it easy
ps. i sent julia a sms to her landline "mother fucking base in your mother fucking face, bom bom boom!" i wanted to send it to you too.

  naomi Jun 14, 2007 11:33 PM

9

Hi sis
Glad to know that you are not only still alive but having a great experience there. Your blogs are so descriptive that you can almost imagine your walk down the street and people there - lucky you.
Everyone here is going great - we are just getting ready to head off to the NT for the next 4 weeks - car is packed and only 5 more sleeps.. can't wait!!
Love ya lots and enjoy the top of the world
Love Shell, Glen, Jem, Chookie and Mik xoxoxox

  Shell Jun 17, 2007 6:46 PM

10

Good to hear from you Eve and it still sounds like you are having a great experience. The Nolans are all doing well as Ryan has been given the all clear for another 4 months since his recent check up, relief. John and I are even managing to get out a couple of times this week thanks to a visit from my Mother-in-law.

Take care and Be Happy love from the Nolans

  Yvonne Jun 26, 2007 3:47 PM

11

Greetings from a wet Melbourne! Our first day of non-stop rain for ages. About 11 degrees makes it just great as well. The Thomsons are all well and enjoying your updates. Stay well and make the most of the rest of your stay. Phil & Sue

  Phil Thomson Jun 27, 2007 9:28 PM

12

hi, i was just wanting to know the name and artist of the song mentioned in your blog, "mother fucking base in your mother fucking face, bom bom boom!" i did a google search for the phrase and this is the only match. if you could help that would be great. thanks.

  james Aug 31, 2007 9:07 PM

About eve


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Nepal

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.