Existing Member?

Ace's Adventure A journey is best measured in friends, rather than miles

Hot in the Cold

CANADA | Thursday, 25 February 2010 | Views [807]

So after the north shore we popped back down to waikiki where we had another fun night out and then proceeded to chill out in the sheraton pool and have a quiet night preparing for what we knew would be a hectic few days. This relaxation period combined with a nice out of season  swell on the south shore which was a bonus, 2-4 foot on the fun reef set ups out the front. Where from the weeks of surfing in boardies the moles on my stomache finally gave in and were worn off and bleeding on the walk back to the hotel.

We got the shuttle to honolulu airport and thorny and I were seated either side of a semi attractive outgoing 40 year old canadian woman who was a good laugh. We watched a movie, the notebook of all things (its still a movie about lots of swans and a slut). We thought that the flight was 10 hours so after the movie we thought we would pop a lazy sleeping pill to sleep the last 7 hours or so. Unfortunately we had the pill and a half asses dozzy sleep to be woken 3 hours later with the plane decending. It was a 5 hour flight. So through Vancouver airport we were sooo drowzy and tired it was a nightmare especially when we got grilled by customs. It was 530 am and we got coffee and a train to our back packers. On arrival at 7am our timing was impecable as the Olympic flame was being run past the backpackers in like 2 mins. We ran with our cameras in hand and watched Wayne Gretzkys dad run the flam by with the possession of police and olympic motorcade. It was on its way to the stadium for the opening ceremony that night. We got our room early avo slept, and then found ourselves in the busy streets of Vancouver, it was mental people everywhere and all bars and restaurants had lines out the door. We found ourselves in a 2 hour line in the rain to get into the Irish house, a half a block marquee bar set up in downtown vancouver. It was an awesome night, with all sorts of people mostly canadians teeing off the olympics in great style. It was an epic, expensive night. Our five days in vancouver were all fairly similar, with us wandering the city taking in the olympic atmosphere Which was incredible. The streets were shut and it was a huge display of canadian patriotism and passion for the games. You couldnt escape it and every night we found ourselves in lines for bars, and paying over the top cover charges and drink prices to take part in the festivities. But it was well worth it and even though we blew our budget I would do it again. The temperature was a bit of a shock compared to hawaii but it wasnt too bad, it got alot colder. And the warmth viewing the beautiful Vancouver women brought more than made up for it, it's true they are amazing.  Valentines day was saved from being a totally gay affair with me and thorny by an aussie bird who I met who agreed to show us around town, including a trip to Stanly park a beautiful park on the harbour. It was great to look back at the city and hunt squirrels and we stumbled across a beluga whale enclosure which was epic, the whales were play with and talking to this seagull, it was crazy. I wasnt high and Im not crazy, look at the photo's on facebook. It was a good day, great to get out of the city and a good valentines night ensued.

We had these two typical aussie blokes in our room at the back packers, they were good value. They talked us into a night out our last night and we followed them half way across the city from bar to bar, I had to use my first aid skills from my resent course and help this guy who had his jaw broken by putting him in the recovery position and making sure he didn't swallow his tounge, and later that night I found myself stranded outside the University of British columbia confused and wanting a shower.

 

After the days events we needed to get out of the City, our options were whistler, and more crowds and olympic prices or head out the other way to meet up with some people we knew to the east. We chose the later and headed out to Kelowna, and the ski resort of big white.  We had a friend from school Mike who said we could crash at his. He had a mean house in the village which had a great crew of aussies and Kiwi's in there and the hospitality was awesome. The whole town is on the mountain above the lower ski lifts. You walk out the fron door, strap on your board and off you go down the road to the lift. We hired and borrowed gear of Dave wilson and Si, who are also living there. The first day was characterised by mean powder filled tree runs. Having never done that before it was a bit tricky and I made friends with a few maple pines. But we soon had the hang of it and it was the best snow/boarding of my life. They also have night skiing and that night we hit the park and boarder cross under the lights which was also sick. We had some epic nights up there too with a 2am trek in the snow to find a hot tub turning up fruitless and cold, and an awesome house party to boot. The next day we got the T bar to the top, well we finally did after thorny and I murdered going double on it about 4 times. Once up there we hiked to the summit, had a beer and then spent the avo boarding the pow and hiking. it was a long day but sooo good. The trees up high are unrecognisible as they are all covered in snow, they look like statues or Ghosts they are quite something.

 

We kept moving and got the greyhound to Revelstoke another ohukune type town. It is here we met and stayed with blair, beth and leah who are canadians I me in NZ last year. We had an amazing dinner (if you havent guessed we arent stiking to a backpackers budget). Caught up with the old crew and the next day thorny, blair and I loaded up blairs ski doo and went up the trails for a day of ski dooing and boarding in places that arent usually boarded. I had never seen snow like it, it was dry powder up past your thigh. It took alot of getting used to but was awesome once you got it. We had the area to ourselves and the most amazing view of the rockies, which continued on the drive back to calgary, after maccas ofcourse.

 

We arrived in calgary late and next morning had a well overdue sleep in. We checked out the town, it has its merits, founded on the booming oil industry it grew quick. But it didn't seem to attractive or exciting. We saw similarities to hamilton. But we had a great meal with Beth and ellen, and the next day thorny and I buses out to Bowness creek for some ice skating. This was real fun and we were quick learners. zooming all over the ice, till i got too cocky tried a triple axel and hit my elbow. We finished the day off at the local pub watching Canada smoke Germany in the hockey, drank some beers, ate some Poutine (fries, cheese curd and gravy! so good on a cold day or on a hangover). Thorny and I kicked on to a bar with an 80's cover band with all the hair and drama of bon jovi it was a fun night and we meet some cool people.

Today was a lazy day, organising ourselves and finally finding time to write this and put photo's up. Tomorrow we will go to banff for the day night, then it will be a looong 14 hour bus trip back to Van to conclude the Olympic festivities and maybe even dabble in a game of rugby. After then, Vegas..so look foward to that update if we survive. Some guys just can't handle vegas.

Love Ace

x

Tags: canada, powder, rockies, snow

About evans_ace


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Canada

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.