Existing Member?

The more you want, the more you think you need

Finally in Ethiopia

ETHIOPIA | Wednesday, 14 October 2009 | Views [353] | Comments [1]

Ok wow...where do I start? Leaving Israel was one of the hardest things I have had to do since I got there for the army. Saying goodbye to friends was difficult, and to my Great Aunt (emphasis on the Great) Tante Perel. What she has done for me the last few years cannot be expressed in words and I hope that she understands how truely grateful I am for everything. I cant wait to be back in Israel to see you!!!

I have been writing in a journal, so let me recap a bit on thelast 24 hours. I left Tamir in Jerusalem at 7PM to the airport. I arrived very early (about 3.5 hours) and was extremely nervous. I spoke with a lot of people in the airport, they were all really nice but thought I was a bit crazy. Maybe I am? I got to the airport and checked the box of things I can not carry on the plane...i.e. leatherman, fuel canister and stove. Also, I checked my improv didge. It all weighed 3 kilo and people looked at me like I am crazy. The carry on was 7.5 kilo, slightly over the limit but they let me on anyway. Headed to the food court to spend my last 50 NIS and started feeling the excitement of being a solo traveler. Got penne pasta, way over priced but its the airport what can you do.  I took a picture of the food and a man came over asking why I had taken a picture of his family. Apparently they were scared I was taking pictures of them and not my pasta? I was nervous to have so much cash on me, my main (read: only) source of funds. Went to gate B3 and sat around reading for a bit. It was very weird to be the only white person sitting in the gate! Great feeling though to really be doing something different. But for once I felt awkward- what many foreigners must feel in America every day. When we were boarding, many more white people came on board to spoil my fun. It was an uneventful flight. I sat next to a 48 year old guy from Kampala Uganda. He was really nice, and looked 30. He said it was because he laughs a lot. And he sure did! We had a great time together. I ripped the amharic english translation out of the inflight magazine so that I can speak a little bit. Getting off the place I felt I was really in another world! Getting a 20 dollar visa took about an hour, for lack of pens to fill anything out and random rooms with sketchy people. But it was fun!

Got my bags, everything made it ok. I took all the stuff from the box and stuffed it into the 1 bag. I met an Israeli guy who travels here a lot, and we shared a cab to the city for 40 birr (20 for me). I changed 100 USD at a rate of 12.543 birr. I then walked down the road and saw tons of runners! Who would have thought...I mean Ethiopia does produce some of the best runners in the world but I didnt know it caught on so well with the citizens. Every second person was either running, stretching, or kicking a ball. Now this is my kind of city! It is pretty cool here too- had to throw on a fleece. Walking down the street I was again the only white person (I have a feeling I will have to get used to this)and I drew plenty of stares and shouts from kids. I had to fight the urge to laugh but I could not keep smiling. Went over a bride with a stream under it, loaded with trash and stray dogs. There were some blue tin houses near the stream, I wanted to  go check then out but thought I would get my bearings first. It seemed like the area was a rain forest before the city was here, with tons of trees. I met a night guy on the street, and after saying Chao he stopped and bowed a bunch of times to the other side of the street. Not sure why. :)

Walking down the street I came to a sport area. Hundreds of people working out- running, pushups, soccer, karate, plyometrics, everything! There was no real track but rather long strips of stairs which can be run on, and many of the people there were fast. Although I heard the fastest runners are in the mountains, these people are getting ready for the massive Great Ethiopian Run in November. It was very quiet for this many people in one place, I could feel the intensivity of the athletes. I met a few young men and they were teaching me Amharic. Really nice guys, work out there every day, maybe I will come back tomorrow. I then bought 3 envelopes and paper for 3.12 birr (about a quarter) and I will start writing some letters now. I also found the post office, so that should not be a problem. The woman at the store wanted a copy of my english amharic phrases haha so I gave it to her. And its only 9AM! I cant believe everything here is awesome and I am getting a lot done. I want to stop by the National Museum today. I will update on that later. I miss everyone!!! Have a great day. Chao! Evan

 

Comments

1

Awesome!!! Do you realize we are all experiencing Ethiopia through you!!! Thanks!

  Mary Jean Zaino Nov 11, 2009 1:19 AM

About evanchartier


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Ethiopia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.