Existing Member?

A Dream Come True Finally I am off on a dream trip that I dreamt of for many, many years. I flew from London Heathrow on 2 October 2008 to Delhi I will continue my journey to explore many places for the next 8 months:) And years to come......

Singapore

SINGAPORE | Monday, 22 December 2008 | Views [398]

After my 2 months in a very chaotic India, arriving to Singapore Airport was almost a chock. It was so clean, so modern, everything was so orderly and it made my life extremely easy, it almost felt boring. I traveled into town with the metro and found out that the hostel I booked was situated in an area called Little India which I didn't know before, it's strange as when I got out of the station it was almost as I was back in India again. The smells, the people, the road side stores and restaurants were all Indian.

The hostel was great, it was like a little travel community with people stopping over in Singapore before heading off or just arriving from other parts of Asia, was talking to a lot of people over breakfast that I just helped myself to in the communal kitchen. It had a really nice feel to the place. I had a day in Singapore before Jasper and Mia arrived so I went and explored parts of the city. It is some amazing architecture in Singapore some very modern sky scrapers mixed with beautiful old colonial style buildings. I walked to an area called Kampong Glam which I really liked, some beautiful buildings and little nice shops, cafe's and restaurants and a very relaxed atmosphere. As I continued my walk I realised that Singapore is a paradise for anyone who wants to shop, I was walking past these huge super modern shopping centers, I never seen so many shopping centers anywhere else. I think I came across about 5 during my day in Singapore, and when I am saying shopping centers they are huge, they are like shopping centers the size of Bluewater (for those of you who know Bluewater), if not bigger.  It was my first proper realisation that we were in the middle of the Christmas rush as I was hearing Christmas music, seeing Christmas decorations and all these people out shopping, there definitely was no sign of the worlds finance problems. It made me think very much what a contrast this was to some of the India I seen, where so many people have nothing, or very little. I had some lovely food during the day, I had lunch in one of the food court, when you walk into these food courts there is so much choice and very difficult to choose what to eat. In the evening I was sampling some dishes from the food stalls in China Town, it was a very exciting way of eating. 

Then came the moment I have been waiting for, meeting Jasper and Mia, it was so nice to see them again, I wish we had some more time in Singapore, we only had one evening as we were travelling up to Penang in Malayisa the day after and they were both exhausted from a 16 hour flight from London, so we didn't do much other than had a nice meal.

 

 

Travel Answers about Singapore

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.