Existing Member?

Live,love and explore

My Scholarship entry - Seeing the world through other eyes

WORLDWIDE | Monday, 23 April 2012 | Views [222] | Scholarship Entry

We left the city almost 2 hours back, sitting at the back of a jeep, moving towards Thanchi. The sizzling heat of sun was welcoming us at the land of wonders, Bandarban, known as the perfect place to visit in Bangladesh for the adventure loving people who have crush on wild hilly area. I was looking at the jig jag hilly paths, where the sun light kisses the tree leaves. Instead of being amazed by the outstanding view, I was surprised at myslef-‘why am I not enjoying this loveliness? Biting local bananas, I looked for the similar expression on my tour mates’ faces! But they disappointed me big time! Probably the reason could be my last tour at Tigers Nest in Bhutan! After one hour, we stopped near a tribal shop where they were selling local handloom - fabric, shawls, and more. While taking several photos with local people who were mostly Marma tribe, for the first time I started feeling good about coming to Bandarban to explore Nafakhum ,often called the “Niagra” of Bangladesh! The women wore colorful Thami and Angi . I bought a stylist trilby hat made of jute fiber that reminded me of a shop at Heathrow airport. After taking the permission from BGB, we started again towards Thanchi. I stood at the back seat and sang all the way: ‘Shobuj ghera deyal amer..nil akasher shad.’(praising the magnificence of hills and blue sky). We stayed that night at Thanchi. We all went to the ponds near a mosque to have a ‘gono gosol’ (bath). None of us would come out of that pond if we were not hungry like the wolf. We had dinner with rice, yummy Sutki vorta (Fish), spicy chicken curry and vegetable. During our dinner, at Modina hotel, Munaz, the cook was chopping potatoes, Wax gourd etcetera for breakfast. I was astonished seeing his integrity to maintain the hygiene while preparing the meal.Lying on the corridor of our rest house, we were watching the stars in the sky. The smoke from the bonfire was writing poems on the sparkly blue sky. The sky seemed closer from there.Within two days, Marma people won my heart with their smile, simplicity and reliability.

Tags: bandarban, nafakhum, travel writing scholarship 2012, trekking

About etha


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.